The Jenin refugee camp’s compound beneath al-Ansar Mosque was struck by the explosion.
Palestinian medics said that at least one person was killed after Israeli aircraft attacked a complex under a mosque in the occupied West Bank early on Sunday.
The military claimed the compound was being used by terrorists to plan attacks.
According to Israel, the Jenin refugee camp’s facility beneath al-Ansar Mosque was owned by Hamas and Palestinian Islamic Jihad agents who had carried out attacks in the preceding months.
The military released a statement saying, “Intel was recently received which indicated that the terrorists, (who) were neutralised, were organising an imminent terror attack.”
Images purportedly depicting the entrance to a bunker beneath the mosque were made public by the military.
Additionally, a graphic purportedly illustrating the locations of militant weapon storage was made public.
Social media footage purportedly capturing the scene of the airstrike revealed a massive hole surrounded by debris in one of the mosque’s outer walls.
Ambulance sirens blare in the background as several dozen Palestinians are seen evaluating the damage.
According to the Palestinian Red Crescent ambulance service, three Palestinians were hurt and at least one died.
It had stated that two persons had died earlier.
In the West Bank, where violence has increased since Hamas gunmen from Gaza carried out a horrific assault in Israel on October 7 that claimed the lives of over 1,400 people, the Israeli airstrike is at least the second in recent days.
Earlier this year, a significant Israeli military operation was focused on the Jenin refugee camp, a bastion for Palestinian militants.
“In an aerial strike on an underground terror compound in the Al-Ansar mosque in Jenin, the Israeli Air Force, in coordination with the Israel Security Agency, destroyed a terror cell of Hamas and Islamic Jihad terror operatives planning an impending terror attack,” the Israeli Air Force said in a statement.
“The terrorist cell also carried out a terror attack on October 14th in the area of the security fence, where an explosive device was detonated by a cellular activation of terror forces who arrived at the scene.”
Early on Sunday, Israel launched airstrikes on the southern part of Gaza and declared it would step up its assaults in the northern enclave.
Meanwhile, the United States pledged to provide further help to Palestinians who were running low on fuel, food, water, and medication.
According to Palestinian media, an Israeli strike in the southern Gaza city of Khan Younis resulted in the deaths of at least 11 Palestinians.
Israel was reportedly targeting the southern city of Rafah, according to Palestinian media.
Hours after Israeli military spokesman Rear Admiral Daniel Hagari urged Gazans to evacuate south of danger, there were attacks during the night.”Go south for your own safety.”
In a briefing to Israeli media on Saturday, Hagari declared, “We will increase attacks and continue to attack in the Gaza City area.”
The West is putting increasing pressure on Israel to hold off on its ground invasion of Gaza and to rescue the hostages that Hamas has taken prisoner.
After multiple fruitless wars since it seized power there in 2007, Israel has gathered tanks and troops close to the fortified border surrounding the small coastal enclave in preparation for the intended ground invasion.
The goal is to completely destroy Hamas.
Chief of Staff Lieutenant General Herzi Halevi addressed troops in a video released by the Israeli military on Saturday, saying, “We are going to go into the Gaza Strip… to destroy Hamas operatives and Hamas infrastructure and we will have in our minds the memories of the images and those who fell on Saturday two weeks ago.”
“Live fire exercises have been conducted by Israeli troops “in preparations for the next stage of war,” according to video that the Israeli army made public on Saturday.
According to Israeli media, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu called a meeting of his Cabinet late on Saturday to discuss the impending invasion.
Israel’s military spokesman, Rear Admiral Daniel Hagari, stated that the nation intended to intensify its airstrikes beginning on Saturday in anticipation of the war’s next phase.
In order to reduce the risks to our forces in the upcoming phases of the fight, we will intensify our strikes.
“We will intensify our attacks starting today,” Hagari declared, reiterating his appeal for Gaza City inhabitants to go southward for their protection.
Israel has promised to destroy Hamas, but it hasn’t revealed anything about what it plans to do with Gaza should it succeed.
A ‘buffer zone’ in Gaza will be necessary to keep Palestinians away from the border, according to Yifat Shasha-Biton, a minister in the Cabinet.
In an urban battle, an Israeli ground assault would probably result in a sharp increase in deaths for both sides.
Over 1,400 Israelis have lost their lives in the conflict, the majority of them were civilians killed by Hamas.
The Health Ministry, which is controlled by Hamas, reports that over 4,300 people have died in Gaza.
This includes the disputed death toll from an explosion at a hospital.
The Health Ministry of Gaza announced on Saturday that there have been over a million displaced individuals in the region.
According to the Gaza Health Ministry and Hamas media, Israeli airstrikes on Saturday resulted in at least 50 fatalities and numerous injuries.
In retaliation, Hamas stated it fired rockets towards Tel Aviv.
Blinken warned Lebanon’s acting prime minister, Najib Mikati, in a phone call on Saturday that the Lebanese people would suffer if his nation was involved in the conflict, the State Department said, amid growing international concern the violence might escalate into a regional war.
Israel said that on Saturday, during cross-border fighting that claimed the lives of six of its troops, its planes bombed Hezbollah sites in Lebanon and one of its soldiers was shot by an anti-tank missile.
The group asserted that Iran was behind the fighting.
The assertion by Hamas that the terrorist organisation had sought to release two more hostages on humanitarian grounds but that Israel had refused to welcome them was referred to as “propaganda” by Israel on Saturday.
The armed wing of Hamas, through its spokesman Abu Ubaida, stated that on Friday, the same day that it liberated American Judith Tai Ranaan and her daughter Natalie, the group notified Qatar of its plan to release the two more individuals.
The first convoy of humanitarian supplies to enter the beleaguered Gaza Strip since the start of the conflict passed through the Rafah border crossing on Saturday.
According to the UN, the Palestinian Red Crescent would get life-saving supplies from the 20-truck convoy.
The amount of commodities that entered Gaza on Saturday, according to the U.N. humanitarian office (OCHA), was only a small portion of what was required following the 13-day siege of the 2.3 million-person enclave.
This amount of products was similar to only 4% of the daily average of imports into Gaza prior to the hostilities.
Following days of tough discussions, U.S. President Joe Biden welcomed the aid’s arrival and reaffirmed America’s commitment to guaranteeing that more help will pass via the Rafah border crossing.
“We’ll keep collaborating with all stakeholders,” Biden declared in a statement.Share on Facebook «||» Share on Twitter «||» Share on Reddit «||» Share on LinkedIn