Baltimore Archdiocese shuts down Mass at city parish after priest abuse scandal

“The difficult decision was made based on the limited number of clergy available for this ministry,” the archdiocese said in its statement.

“Regrettably, the decision also means that Mass, the sacraments, sacramental preparation, and worship services will no longer continue at St. Benedict Church, effective on Nov. 15, 2023,” the archdiocese said.

“We understand that this news comes at a difficult time for the parishioners,” the statement continued. “An outreach team will be available to assist parishioners and if they wish, help them receive Catholic pastoral services at nearby parishes.”

The archdiocese noted that the Benedictines at St. Vincent Archabbey in Latrobe, Pennsylvania, who own the Baltimore parish itself, “have engaged the parish’s dedicated volunteers and have formulated a plan to continue various community outreach programs” at the Benedictine-owned property. 

“Please pray for the parishioners of St. Benedict during this difficult time,” the archdiocese implored in its statement. The archdiocese did not respond to a query on Monday morning.

Morlino had been pastor at St. Benedict for more than 30 years. 

Advertisement
Advertisement: Download Vital Signs App (VS App)