UNICEF (United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund) operates in some of the world’s most difficult locations to help the world’s most vulnerable children. In order to save their life. To protect their legal rights. To assist them in realizing their full potential. We fight for every child, everywhere, every day, in 190 countries and territories to make the world a better place for everyone.
UNICEF is recruiting to fill the position of:
Communication Specialist, P-3
Social Policy Officer
Job Title: Communication Specialist, P-3
Job No: 545457
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Contract Type: Temporary Appointment
How Can You Make a Difference?
- Under the guidance of the Health Manager Systems Strengthening, provide technical leadership and support towards PHC systems strengthening with a focus on the uptake of integrated Primary Health Care services to improve access and equitable coverage of key interventions in the health program, including in the context of emergency and outbreaks linking with development programming.
- There is a critical need given Nigeria’s maternal and child survival indicators and the current COVID 19 health emergency response to support stronger community engagement/mobilisation with a functioning PHC platform and its referral levels of service delivery, including the community health platforms.
Main Responsibilities and Tasks
The Specialist will carry out the following activities related to the child survival and well-being program with a focus on improving uptake of PHC services among individuals, families, and communities under the overarching framework of the health systems strengthening component of the health portfolio in Nigeria:
- Design an integrated PHC service uptake strategy to improve access and equitable coverage of key interventions for individuals, families, and communities in the child survival and well-being program, including innovative programming towards fast-tracking results.
- Provide technical and strategic support to all health system strengthening projects with a focus on improving uptake of PHC services and community engagement/mobilization.
- Work closely with the FMOH, NPHCDA, NCDC, and partners at federal and state levels towards supporting the scale-up of lessons learned towards improving uptake of PHC services in challenging situations including emergency and outbreak responses.
- Serve as the focal point for coordination and collation and understanding of the progress of uptake of PHC services to improve health practices and health-seeking behaviours.
- Support the field towards building a body of evidence on improving uptake of PHC services and community engagement/mobilization.
- Participate in technical meetings, coordination platforms at federal and sub-national levels on community engagement/mobilization for PHC including humanitarian programs and other forums as needed.
- Support finalization of reports and proposals towards improving uptake of PHC services including in the context of emergency and outbreaks working closely with different clusters in the program and other sections internally as well as partners and stakeholders.
- Lead and provide support towards documenting and producing programme documentation briefs on key projects and priority areas on PHC and HSS.
- Support development of policy and program briefs.
- Other activities and support towards health systems strengthening activities as needed.
To Qualify as an Advocate for Every Child You Will Have
- An advanced University Degree in Social/Behavioural Sciences with emphasis on Strategic Communication, Planning for Behavioural Development, Social Mobilization, Participatory Communication, and Research, or equivalent is required for this position.
- A minimum of 5 years of professional experience in public health and social development programs. Experience in the application of communication planning processes to specific programmes is an asset.
- Relevant experience in health development and management in any UN system agency or organization is an asset.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language or a local language is an asset.
For Every Child, you Demonstrate
- UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People, and Drive for Results.
The UNICEF competencies required for this post are:
- Communication (II)
- Working with people (II)
- Drive for results (II)
- Leading and supervising (I)
- Formulating strategies and concepts (II)
- Analysing (III)
- Relating and networking (II)
- Deciding and Initiating action (II)
- Applying technical expertise (III)
Application Closing Date
1st November 2021; W. Central Africa Standard Time.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Job Title: Social Policy Officer
Job No: 545309
Contract Type: Fixed Term Appointment
Categories: Social and Economic Policy
- Within the delegated authority and under the given organisational set-up, the incumbent may be assigned the primarily, shared, or contributory accountabilities for all or part of the following areas of major duties and key end-results.
Social Policy Dialogue, Technical Advice, and Programme Development:
- Provides professional assistance in UNICEF’s engagement in social policy dialogue, technical advice, and development with the Government, maintains constructive dialogue and partnerships between international and local stakeholders to support the development of social policies and programmes contributing to the progressive realization of children’s rights and strengthening of implementation and monitoring mechanisms at all levels of society, and ensures that the services reach out in innovative, effective ways to those most excluded pockets of children and families that have been previously left out.
Monitoring State Budget Resources:
- Monitors and updates current information on state budgeting and spending patterns for social programmes on an ongoing basis to support advocacy for more efficient, more equitable, and sufficient public resources and budget allocation for social development, the prioritization of resource allocation for children, and universal coverage of essential services for children and social protection, in order to ensure that they reflect the best interest of children, promote equality and contribute to social inclusion.
Sustainable Development and Capacity Building:
- Collaborates with the central and local authorities to strengthen community-based capacity on quality data collection, analysis for state policy development, planning, implementation, coordination, monitoring of social policy and programmes, gender equality, and promoting convergence across sectors.
- Provides professional assistance in the development programme plans of action for children at provincial and district/municipality levels; supports to strengthen coordination between sectors and between different levels of government structures for policy implementation.
Data Collection, Analysis, and Results-based Approach:
- Collects quantitative and qualitative data for the sound and up-to-date assessment of the situation of children and women to provide the base-lines for result-based decisions on interventions and evaluations.
- Provides technical support for the development of information systems for monitoring child rights indicators, with emphasis on community and child participation.
- Provides timely, regular data-driven analysis for effective prioritization, planning, and development; facilitates results-based management for planning, adjusting, and scaling-up specific social policy initiatives.
- Support maintenance of information system for monitoring gender/sex, geographic, and socio-economic disaggregated data.
- Contributes to the analysis of the macroeconomic context of social policy programmes and its impact on social development, emerging issues, and social policy concerns, as well as implications for children, and proposes and promotes appropriate responses in respect of such issues and concerns, including government resource allocation policies and the effect of social welfare policies on the rights of children.
Advocacy and Communication:
- Promotes and raises awareness on children’s rights with both the general public and with policy makers, effective information dissemination, mass media campaign, special events, and other means, to ensure local buy-in, commitment, and continued relevance of UNICEF programming.
- Contributes to the establishment and enhancement of effective partnerships with the Government, bilateral and multilateral donors, NGOs, civil society and local leaders, the private sector, and other UN agencies to support sustained and proactive commitment to the Convention of the Rights of the Child and to achieve global UN agendas such as the Sustainable Development Goals and the World Fit for Children (WFFC) agenda.
- Identifies other critical partners, promotes awareness and builds the capacity of partners, and actively facilitates effective collaboration within the UN family.
UNICEF Programme Management:
- Supports and contributes to effective and efficient planning, management, coordination, monitoring, and evaluation of the country programme.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have:
- University Degree, preferably advanced University Degree or equivalent background, in Social Sciences, Economics, International Relations, Political Science, International Finance, or other relevant disciplines.
- Two years of relevant professional work experience. Fieldwork experience (for NO). Background/familiarity with Emergency.
- Fluency in English and local working language of the duty station.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies are listed below:
- Communication [ II ]
- Working with People [ I ]
- Drive for Results [ I ]
The functional competencies required for this post are:
- Formulating Strategies and Concepts [ I ]
- Analysing [ II]
- Applying Technical Expertise [ II ]
- Learning and Researching [ II]
- Planning and Organizing [ II ]
Application Closing Date
25th October 2021; W. Central Africa Standard Time.
↯↯↯Read More On The Topic On TDPel Media Below↯↯↯
In The News On TDPel Media:
- Immunization Supply Financing Consultant (Home based in Nigeria), Procurement Services Center, UNICEF Supply Division at UNICEF Immunization Supply Financing Consultant (Home based in Nigeria), Procurement Services Center, UNICEF Supply Division at UNICEF – TDPel Jobs UNICEF contributes to the achievement of...
- UNICEF Recruitment 2021, Careers & Job Vacancies Portal Opens (3 Positions) UNICEF Recruitment 2021, Careers & Job Vacancies Portal Opens (3 Positions) – TDPel Jobs Apply for United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund UNICEF Recruitment 2021,...
- UNICEF Recruitment 2021, Careers & Job Vacancies Portal Opens (4 Positions) UNICEF Recruitment 2021, Careers & Job Vacancies Portal Opens (4 Positions) – TDPel Jobs Apply for United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund UNICEF Recruitment 2021,...
- UNICEF Recruitment 2021, Careers & Job Vacancies Portal Opens UNICEF Recruitment 2021, Careers & Job Vacancies Portal Opens – TDPel Jobs Apply for United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund UNICEF Recruitment 2021, Careers and...
- UNICEF Recruitment 2021, Careers & Job Vacancies Portal Opens (5 Positions) UNICEF Recruitment 2021, Careers & Job Vacancies Portal Opens (5 Positions) – TDPel Jobs Apply for United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund UNICEF Recruitment 2021,...
- UNICEF Recruitment 2021, Careers & Job Vacancies Portal Opens (7 Positions) UNICEF Recruitment 2021, Careers & Job Vacancies Portal Opens (7 Positions) – TDPel Jobs Apply for United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund UNICEF Recruitment 2021,...
- Submit CVs – New Recruitment at United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) Submit CVs – New Recruitment at United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) – TDPel Jobs United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) works in...
- Recruitment: Apply For BBC Recruitment 2021 With a weekly global audience of 320 million, the BBC is an international multimedia broadcaster on radio, television, the internet, and social media. The BBC...
- Recruitment: Apply For International Organisation for Migration Recruitment 2021 The International Organization for Migration (IOM), also known as the United Nations Migration Agency (UNMA), is a non-governmental organization that promotes migration around the world....
- Recruitment: Apply For Plan International Recruitment 2021 Plan International is a non-profit development and humanitarian organization that promotes children’s rights and gender equality. From infancy to maturity, we support children’s rights and...