Alleged Stellenbosch University student rapist out on R1000 bail

Alleged Stellenbosch University student rapist out on R1000 bail

The Stellenbosch University accused of raping a fellow student appeared before the local magistrate’s court on Thursday morning, 19 May.

ALLEGED STELLENBOSCH UNIVERSITY RAPIST GETS BAIL

National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) spokesperson in the Western Cape, Eric Ntabazalila, said the accused is charged with two counts of rape.

The Stellenbosch Magistrate’s Court granted the accused bail at R1000. As part of his bail conditions, he is not allowed to be in contact with the victim.

“His case was postponed until 29 June 2022 for further investigation,” said the NPA spokesperson.

MATTER REPORTED ON WEDNESDAY

As previously reported, a 19-year-old woman reported the alleged rape on Wednesday, according to the police. The suspect was arrested on the same day.

The Student Representative Council (SRC) of the university confirmed that the victim is a student from another residence.

Captain FC van Wyk said the alleged rape reportedly took place at a residence in Victoria Street on Tuesday night.

Stellenbosch University confirmed that the alleged rapist is a student and that he would be suspended from his residence while the internal and criminal investigations continue.

“The victim is currently cared for and safe. She yesterday opened a case of rape against the perpetrator with SAPS, who accompanied her to the Stellenbosch Provincial Hospital, where she was examined and also received the necessary medication, care and primary counselling,” said university spokesperson Martin Viljoen.

↯↯↯Read More On The Topic On TDPel Media ↯↯↯