Several South African private schools whose students took the Independent Examinations Board (IEB) matric examinations in 2022 achieved excellent scores.
Private schools often provide lower class numbers, more individual attention, and access to highly trained teachers, according to BusinessTech, since they get more financing than their public counterparts.
These changes seemed to be reflected in the most recent matric exam results, with the IEB reporting a 98.42% pass percentage in 2022, a small increase over the 98.38% pass rate in 2021.
In contrast, as reported by The South African website, the Department of Basic Education announced the final National Senior Certificate (NSC) results for the matric year of 2022 on Thursday, revealing a rise of 3.7% in the pass rate to 80.1%.
The top three private schools for boys were St. John’s College, Hilton College, and St. Benedict’s.
St. John’s College scored a 100 percent bachelor’s pass rate with an average of 3.15 distinctions per applicant.
Both Hilton College and St Benedict’s College attained a bachelor’s degree pass rate of 99%, with 2.43 and 2.41 honours per applicant, respectively.
Chulumanco Macingwane, director of Inyanda Capital, developed the following ranking of the top nine IEB achievers.
TOP 9 PRIVATE BOYS SCHOOLS
1. St John’s College
- 100% BP, 3.1 distinctions per candidate;
- 38% of the class achieved an 80% average; and
- 11% of candidates had five or more subjects in the top 5% in the IEB (making the IEB Outstanding Achievement and commendable achievements lists).
2. Hilton College
- 99% BP, 2.43 distinctions per candidate; and
- 15% of candidates achieved six distinctions or more.
3. St Benedict’s College
- 99% BP, 2.41 distinctions per candidate; and
- 23% of the class achieved an 80% average.
4. Michaelhouse School
- 2.3 distinctions per candidate;
- 22% of the class achieved an 80% average; and
- 8% of the class achieved six distinctions or more.
5. St David’s Inanda
- 93% BP, 2.13 distinctions per candidate; and
- 17% of the class achieved six or more distinctions.
6. Kearsney College
- 98% BP, two distinctions per candidate; and
- 26% of the class got an 80% average.
7. St Stithians Boys College
- 99% BP, 1.7 distinctions per candidate;
- 6% of the class achieved six distinctions or more.
8. St Alban’s College
- 97% BP, 1.6 distinctions per candidate, and
- 11% of candidates got six or more distinctions.
9. St Andrew’s College
- 98% BP, 1.5 distinctions per candidate; and
- 2% of the class achieved six or more distinctions.
HERE IS WHERE YOU CAN GET YOUR MATRIC RESULTS
- On Friday, January 20, 2023, the bulk of South Africa’s main daily newspapers will announce the matric results for 2022.
- Students may get their exam results immediately from the school or institution where they took the examination.
- These results may only be available after 12:00 PM on the day of release.
- Students may SMS their exam number to the number 45856. The system will then provide them their results after verifying their exam number. Each SMS costs R1.50, and free SMSs are unavailable.
- Learners can also access their results directly by logging onto the Department of Basic Education’s website. Before getting registration confirmation, applicants must undergo a two-step verification procedure. To register, they must enter their 13-digit ID number and Exam Number. The DBE website is accessible without data fees, meaning that it may be accessed whether or not the user has data.
- Several online websites will publish the results – including The South African
- Matriculants may register for their results using the USSD code *120*45856# and their exam number. Once available, the learner’s matric results will be texted to their phone. R1.50 per minute will be paid for the USSD service.
- Download the MatricsMate App for free from Google Play and Apple App Stores