Tuesday, officials reported that Thai military killed six suspected drug smugglers in a shootout in a bush in northern Thailand.
The incident occurred close to the “Golden Triangle,” where Thailand, Myanmar, and Laos meet, which has long been a hotbed for smuggling despite repeated efforts to eradicate it.
According to army officials, rangers discovered a group of 15 to 20 individuals crossing the Myanmar border early Monday morning in the Fang district.
In a crackdown on migrant labor exploitation, Spanish police have arrested 43 individuals.
The Pha Muang Task Force, which monitors six border provinces, reported that an exchange of gunfire resulted in the deaths of six accused smugglers.
The army reported that during a search of 19 backpacks belonging to the individuals, soldiers uncovered 300 kilos (660 pounds) of ketamine and three firearms.
Thai soldiers killed 15 suspected drug smugglers near the Myanmar border last month.
The group was carrying crystal methamphetamine, a highly addictive stimulant frequently made in Myanmar and exported to Southeast Asia via Thailand and Laos, according to officials who said they opened fire after being accosted by the group.
In recent years, authorities around Southeast Asia have made a record number of meth seizures.
↯↯↯Read More On The Topic On TDPel Media ↯↯↯
Also On TDPel Media
- RJ Barrett wanting to play Knicks final game before NBA trade deadline
- Thief kicks NYC straphanger down subway stairs: cops
- Biden immigration problem to cost NYC $4.2B, twice Eric Adams’ estimate
- Grammy-winning artist Zakes Bantwini’s net worth, booking fee, and other details
- Brandi Glanville Romanced Caroline Manzo’s While Filming ‘RHUGT’: Report
- US military releases pictures of Chinese spy balloon recovery
- Las Vegas man arrested for allegedly stealing pregnant woman’s 2 French bulldogs at gunpoint
- Two men arrested in 1975 murder of an Indiana schoolgirl who “fought for her life”
- Posthumous election of a mayoral candidate in Ecuador hours after a murder
- Travis Kelce quips that he must “start reproducing” to keep up with his brother Jason