The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, emergency food security, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Shelter Team Leader Nigeria
Job Identification: 2474
Location: Yola, Adamawa
Job Category: Shelter
Job Schedule: Full time
Role And Responsibilities
- The purpose of the Shelter Team Leader position is to assist shelter program coordinator in the high-quality implementation of delegated Shelter activities in Area South.
These responsibilities shall be the same for all positions with the same title. The responsibilities shall be short and essential. Details belong in the Work- and Professional Development Plan.
- Line management of shelter project field staff
- Adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures
- Contribute to Shelter strategy development, project proposals and provide input on needs and gaps
- Manage and implement delegated Shelter activities in field locations according to the budget and project’s proposal
- Ensure high technical quality of all the implemented shelters
- Provide regular progress reports to shelter program coordinator and area manager
- Promote and share ideas for improvement and necessary changes in the activities
- Ensure capacity building of project staff and transfer key skills
- Liaise and collaborate with relevant local authorities and other key stakeholders
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy
These responsibilities shall be adapted to the particularities of the job location and context, phase of operation, strategic focus and type of programme intervention. This section shall be revised whenever a new employee is hired or the context changes significantly.
- Manage day-to-day activities of all shelter activities with technical aspects (new constructions, rehabilitation, repair, etc)
- Manage day-to-day activities of all shelter activities with social aspects (NFI Distributions, Beneficiary Selection and Community Sensitization, etc.)
- Assist Shelter Program Coordinator and Shelter specialist with donor reports
- Contribute to the design of implementation documents for Shelter projects
- Ensure technical standards such as SPHERE standards for implementation are known and applied among shelter team
- Ensure standards and SOPs for protection and gender mainstreaming, beneficiary selection and distribution are known and applied among shelter team
- Ensure that all activity documents related to activities such as labor payments, hand-over certificated, etc. are filled correctly and stored adequately according to NRC Nigeria policies
By interfaces, NRC means processes and projects that are interlinked with other departments/units or persons. Relevant interfaces for this position are:
- Project planning: Shelter Program Manager, Shelter Social Coordinator, Shelter Specialist
- Assessments: Local authorities, AM, M&E
- Area operations: CCs Coordinators and Field Staff
- Staff capacity building: Shelter Specialist, Shelter Program Manager
- Implementation: Shelter Program Manager, Shelter Technical Officers & Assistants
Scale and Scope of Position
- Supervision of Shelter Officers and Assistants
- UN agencies, INGOs, local NGOs, civil society, governmental bodies,
- Local Authorities (LGA Chairman, Bulama), Shelter CCCM/NFIs lead and co-lead, SEMA/NEMA representatives, NGO’s specific shelter and Wash representatives focal point.
- List of budgets covered by postholder, and size of budget (All projects implemented in the North)
- M&E Coordinator, HoP, Media & Communication Coordinator, M&E Dash board, GORS, Agresso, NRC Intranet, IOM DTM, shelter sector/CWG/HLP/5W’s.
Legal or compliance:
- NRC Terms of Employment, NRC Security policy, NRC Code of Conduct, NRC Security Standard Operating Procedures
Competencies are important in order for the employee and the organisation to deliver desired results. They are relevant for all staff and are divided into the following two categories:
Generic professional competencies for this position:
- Experience in shelter and settlement sector of humanitarian/recovery context in technical capacity
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
Context Related Skills, Knowledge and Experience (shall be adapted to the specific position):
- University Degree in Civil Engineering or Architecture
- Experience household training in and infrastructure maintenance
- Knowledge of the context in North Eastern Nigeria
- Knowledge of the local language Kanuri, Hausa
- Knowledge of emergency, transitional and permanent construction requirements and protocols.
Application Closing Date
26th July, 2021; by 10:12 AM.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online