Nigeria – President Muhammadu Buhari says the Nigerian government will continue to do its best to address security challenges confronting the nation.
He made the declaration when he received the representatives of the Nigerian Governors Forum on a condolence visit at the Presidential Villa, Abuja, on Monday.
“We know what we are in for and we will continue to work hard and pray hard so that God will give us the power to appreciate and apply ourselves to the problems.
“The people who elected us know the promises we made within the times and circumstances under which we find ourselves. We will keep on trying, we know what we have promised and we will continue to do our best.”
The President, who thanked the Governors for condoling with him at this time of grief, prayed for the repose of the souls of the departed.
“This is a situation that only God knows when and how it will happen and it happened at a time when the security situation in the country is a fundamental issue and losing such choice officers just increased our problem,” he said.
Speaking earlier, the leader of the delegation, Ekiti State Governor, Dr Kayode Fayemi said the Governors were shocked, as the tragic incident claimed the lives of the people involved.
“We consider it in our part as your representatives in our various states also dealing with security challenges, to come with a delegation of Governors to pay our condolences and commiserate with you on the loss of the Chief of Army Staff and other 10 gallant officers who died in the unfortunate air crash in Kaduna on Friday,
“We know that this is something you will feel to the bone marrow. I recall when I came to talk to you on behalf of my fellow Governors on the need for a change of Service Chiefs and you were very determined that you wanted to get the best set of people and when you came out with the list, everybody was relieved that you had done a thorough search.
“The military was beginning to feel the impact of the leadership and morale that had started improving in the Nigerian Armed Forces. We know that this is a major blow but we also know that you are unrelenting in your commitment to ensuring peace and security in our country,” he said.
Fayemi described the losses the country has suffered recently as unfortunate.
He, therefore, urged the Nigerian Armed Forces to resolve to continue along the path that General Attahiru and his colleagues had already started towing.
“We must defeat banditry, insurgency and all forms of criminality. As a country, this should not lead to any retreat or surrendering on our part,” he advised.