– TDPel Jobs
ACTED has been committedsince 1993, to immediate humanitarianreliefto support those in urgent need and protect people’s dignity, whileco-creating longer-term opportunities for sustainable growth and fulfilling people’s potential. ACTED, headquartered in Paris, France is present in four continents and our teams intervene in 37 countries towards 18million people, responding to emergency situations, supporting rehabilitation projects and accompanying the dynamics of development. Over 5,000 staffare dedicatedto implementing and developing our projects.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Preparedness Capacity Development & Engagement Officer
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Full-time
- To support the preparation, organization, and follow up of trainings, capacity development activities and simulation exercises in terms of disaster prepardness in the city of Maiduguri
- Under the supervision of the Deputy Project Manager and supported by the PM, the Preparedness Capacity Development & Engagement Officer will organize and plan capacity development activities and simulation exercises to stakeholders ranging from state, local government level and traditional institution from the grassroot.
Plan and support the facilitation of capacity development activities:
- Together with the DPM and the project manager, develop training for disaster preparedness and response
- Support the development of strong partnership with Nigerian capacity development institutes (eg. Center for Disaster Risk Management and Development Studies UNIMAID).
- Support the DPM and DDR PM in the standardization and publication of training material.
- Supported by the DPM, keep good relationships with local authorities and other beneficiaries/participants of the capacity development activities.
- Manage logistical and financial aspect of the activities and set-up the working environment for successful capacity developments and trainings.
- In collaboration with the AME department and other consortium partner ensure the monitoring of the trainings
Ensure the organization of disaster simulation exercises for local emergency responders:
- Support the DPM and the project manager in developing disaster simulation exercises in collaboration with local emergency responders.
- Together with the DPM maintain good relations with the required disaster responders.
- Plan, organize and support the procurement of necessary equipment for the exercises.
Support the design and implementation of resilience plans for three neighborhoods in the city of Maiduguri:
- Support the consortium in developing resilience plans for three neighborhoods in the city of Maiduguri.
- Support the consortium in the implementation of selected activities outlined in the neighborhood resilience plans.
Capacity and Gap Analysis:
- Conduct thorough capacity and gap analyses of the State, Municipal, and Local level authorities with which the project will engage, to better understand where and how the project can support capacity strengthening for urban disaster preparedness and response in Maiduguri.
- In collaboration with the project team and other consortium partner develop action plans to respond to gaps identified.
Support in other program activities:
- If necessary, support the project manager and the DPM in other program activities.
- Reporting of the activities and relevant information to the project manager and DPM.
- Participate in the program meetings to develop new capacity building tools for the authorities.
- High School Diploma / National Diploma or Degree in Disaster Risk Management, Geography, Education or Social Sciences.
- A local resident of Borno State, preferred resident of MMC or Jere LGA.
- Excellent knowledge about the urban context of the city of Maiduguri.
- Previous working experience with an International NGO.
- Strong interpersonal skills, autonomy, proactivity and solution oriented.
- At least 3 years of relevant working experience in capacity building, MEAL (monitoring, accountability, Evaluation and Learning) and conducting trainings.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Good facilitation and audience coaching oriented skills.
- Fluency written and spoken in English and Hausa at must; additional fluency in Kanuri preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal and team-playing skills. Demonstrated ability to establish effective working relations with staff, beneficiaries, duty bearers and other stakeholders.
- Experiences in developing trainings for local stakeholders
- Excellent time management skills
- Work experience as or with an emergency responder (SEMA, NEMA, Fire Fighters or Ambulance Services) is a very strong asset.
- Ability to operate in a cross-cultural environment requiring flexibility
- Prior experience working in various different communities in MMC & Jere LGA
- Ability to work independently
- Understanding of gender, protection and human rights.
- Commitment to promoting gender equality.
- Contract length: 6 Months with possibility of extension
- Level: D2-1 (national contract)
- Start date: As soon as possible Desirable
Application Closing Date
30th June, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Important Information and Notice
- All applicants must send a Cover Letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English.
- CV and Cover Letter indicating and explaining the suitability to the position applied.
- Provide contact details (name, position, email address and tel. no.) of 3 professional non-related references, whereas 1 must be for the latest employer. Please do not attach any written recommendations.
- Applications should be addressed to the Recruitment Manager.
- Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications, sent together with a CV, will be considered. CV-only applications will not be considered. Please note: The position title and location must be written in the subject line of the e-mail otherwise not considered.
- ACTED considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, colour, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability.
- CVs will be review on rolling bases.
- Due to the large numbers of expected applicants ACTED will only inform shortlisted candidates. We apologise for the inconvenience. Only short-listed applicants will be invited for written test and oral interview.