– TDPel Jobs
Justice & Empowerment Initiatives (JEI) is a non-profit, non-governmental organization based in Lagos and Port Harcourt, Nigeria, and Cotonou, Benin. We empower poor and marginalized individuals and communities to lead the changes that they would like to see in their own communities whether greater access to justice for the poor, pro-poor urban governance and policy, or community-led insitu upgrading and development. Our work is community driven, community owned, and community sustained. Partner communities identify their needs and set priorities e.g. addressing violence, strengthening land tenure, or building drainages. These priorities feed into all aspects of our work.
We work hand-in-hand with urban poor social movements and grassroots networks, bringing technical expertise in a variety of professions to inform, strengthen and support community-led efforts to solve justice and development problems. Our ultimate goal is to build the capacity of poor and marginalized individuals to set up sustainable community-level and inter-community structures to support and leverage their efforts and resources to bring about lasting change.
We are seeking dynamic, creative, passionate, smart professionals to fill the position below:
Job Title: Participatory Mapping & Data Specialist
Location: Lagos, Port Harcourt – Rivers or Cotonou (with regular travel between the 3 cities)
Hours: Full Time
Start Date: Immediately
- We are looking for a professional with significant experience in project or field research management and sophisticated policy-oriented data analysis to join our team as a Participatory Mapping & Data Specialist.
- He/she will be an innovative thinker and with strong technical skills, who is committed to supporting and strengthening grassroots data generation and turning data into meaningful tools for urban planning and policy advocacy.
- Participatory Mapping & Data Specialist will work with other members of JEI staff and grassroots community profiling and mapping teams.
- Train and support grassroots community mapping and profiling teams to strengthen community profiling, mapping, and enumeration processes to ensure consistency and accuracy of data, timely data capture, and regular data review and cleanup.
- Analyze mapping, profiling, and enumeration data and create/generate maps, reports, and other “knowledge products” to feed into policy advocacy work and action-oriented publications.
- Manage mapping, profiling, enumeration and other field research components of various projects to ensure project targets are achieved.
- Participate in project management and other responsibilities beyond mapping and profiling data analysis as part of the JEI team.
- Degree in Social Sciences or other relevant field are welcome.
- 3+ years’ experience in survey design, field research, data management and data analysis.
- Demonstrated skills in survey design, data collection, data cleaning/management, and data analysis. Experience with mapping, data collection, management, and statistical analysis softwares a significant plus.
- Strong writing and research skills.
- Training and teaching skills mandatory.
- Experience working with grassroots movements a significant plus.
- Experience as an entrepreneur or in a startup environment a plus.
- Bilingual fluency in English and French required.
- Fluency in local languages a plus (incl. Pidgin, Yoruba, Hausa, Egun, Fon).
- Must be willing to work at least one Saturday per month.
A competitive salary and benefits will be commensurate with experience.
Application Closing Date
On a rolling basis.