Operations Officer (Dikwa) at Mercy Corps – TDPel Jobs
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Operations Officer
Requisition Number: OPERA01732
Location: Dikwa, Borno
Joob type: Full-Time
Position Status: Full time, Regular
Job Category: Operations, Procurement, Logistics
Program / Department Summary
- Mercy Corps has been present in Nigeria since December 2012, focusing its interventions on adolescent girls’ empowerment, economic development and conflict mitigation. In mid-2014 Mercy Corps has decided to address the rising humanitarian needs among displaced households and vulnerable host communities in northeast Nigeria and started its humanitarian program.
- With funding from humanitarian donors including OFDA, FFP, EU and ECHO the humanitarian program has been focusing on food assistance, non-food items distribution, protection, livelihoods support, WASH and capacity building of humanitarian response actors.
- All Mercy Corps interventions in Nigeria are implemented in a conflict and gender-sensitive manner.
General Position Summary
- The Operations Officer provides day-to-day support to the program operations in Dikwa, under the direct supervision of the Operations Manager based in Maiduguri.
- As part of his/her responsibilities, the Operations Officer will undertake tasks under procurement, administration, logistics and security working in close collaboration with the finance and program teams based in Dikwa.
- S/he will promptly and effectively provide all required support to programs so to deliver the assistance to beneficiaries in a timely, compliant and transparent manner.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Read and has a clear understanding of the Mercy Corps FP3 and all procedures;
- Lead Mercy Corps daily Procurement Activities in Dikwa Office to meet program and country mission objectives in a timely manner and in accordance with Mercy Corps guidelines and donor regulations;
- Possesses a full understanding of MC procurement policies and formats. Provide training to new staff on these policies and provided refresher training as a gap in staff knowledge are identified;
- Assists staff as needed on creating clear and understandable purchase requests (PR) and other documentation;
- Collects quotations and bids from the market for PR-s with support from Operations Manager – as per Mercy Corps standards and formats;
- Conduct a regular market survey at least every quarter with coordination and support from the Operations Manager.
- Conduct Preferred Supplier process for Accommodation, stationary and other repetitive requests in coordination with Procurement Officer and administration officer;
- Interact with vendors during the collection of quotations – explain Mercy Corps formats and ensure that vendors will use the provided forms;
- Ensures fair competition and strictly adhere to Mercy Corps procurement rules regarding vendor relations as described by Mercy Corps
- Interacts with contractors, in coordination with the Operations Manager and Program Managers;
- Ensures that the required documentation of supplies and transactions are completed to Mercy Corps standards. Maintains and updates the procurement files
- Raise payment request for vendor’s payments and monitor the status of each payment.
- Read and has a clear understanding of the Mercy Corps Asset Management Manual and all procedures;
- Assists the Asset Controller with asset management. Identify assets during the course of procurement and notify the Asset Controller on receipts of assets;
- Participates in regular assets inventory and checks.
- Ensures that all the assets are maintained and in good condition. Check assets stickers regularly;
- Maintain inventories of Mercy Corps premises (non-expandable properties) conduct regular checks (quarterly);
- advise Operations Manager on any broken, damaged or destroyed equipment;
- Read and has a clear understanding of the Mercy Corps Fleet Management Policy Guidelines;
- Ensure that all vehicles are safe and road-worthy;
- Ensure that all vehicles have proper on-board vehicle documentation;
- Schedule vehicle use to meet programmatic and operational needs;
- Ensure Vehicle Authorization is approved before leaving Mercy Corps Office;
- Oversees the vehicles movement plans;
- Maintains vehicles documentation, including log sheets, repairs logs and schedules Monitors
- vehicles fuel consumption
- Coordinate with HR in Maiduguri to ensure proper tracking of drivers HR files;
- Oversees the generator and inverter operation, monitoring the servicing schedule
- Read and has a clear understanding of the Mercy Corps Field Administration Manual and all procedures;
- Liaises with Operations Manager on renewal of office and Guesthouses rental agreements;
- Establishes and maintain appropriate filing systems for office correspondence. Receive and dispatch mail;
- Ensures that the office is run in a professional and responsible manner including hosting guests, cleaning, receptionist duties and general contact and liaison with outside agencies.
- Ensures that the office has sufficient office supplies.
- Co-ordinates any other necessary administrative and office management details.
- Makes all necessary travel and lodging arrangements for visitors
- Oversee the management of office consumable (office materials like stationery, cleaning & hygiene,): that will include: collecting the requests on monthly bases, maintaining the stock, monitoring the use.
- Facility management (cleaning, equipment repairs, utilities, water supply, green office considerations, facility keys management etc)
- Administrating communication, ensuring internet, printers are working, the staff has enough phone credit.
- Collect HR-related documentation and liaise with the country office on HR tasks
- Monitor the generator and inverter operation, monitoring the service schedule;
- Monitor generator fuel consumption
- Responsible for oversight of vehicle rentals including tracking of leases and payment.
Operations Management – Security:
- To act as the office Security Focal Point.
- If needed, conduct security risk assessments of core operational features and record and report findings;
- To ensure that compound guards remain an effective and credible deterrent;
- To ensure through comprehensive briefings, that all staff and visitors to are fully appraised of the risks, the prevailing security situation and any security procedures.
- To manage and maintain all security communications equipment
- Carries out other duties as assigned.
- The Operations Officer will conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
- Technical support for all operations assistants and administration staff.
- Reports Directly to: Operations Manager, Functionally reports to Field Manager
- Works Directly with: MEL, Programs, Finance and Operations
Knowledge and Experience
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Supply Chain / Logistics / Operations Management discipline, Business Administration, Public Administration, Commerce etc.,
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant experience in operational coordination and support functions with an international non-governmental organization or in the private sector;
- Experience in overseeing logistics operations and systems;
- Demonstrated experience in setting up and managing complex administration and operational systems;
- Minimum of 2 years of experience leading teams in humanitarian assistance and development field;
- Demonstrated understanding of complex emergencies, related security concerns, and appropriate responses to such emergencies;
- Excellent negotiation, representation, skills and the ability to work comfortably with an ethnically diverse staff;
- Excellent verbal and written communication, organizational, prioritization and computer skills in Microsoft Office applications are required;
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members.
- Proven records of successful training and capacity building of staff;
- Knowledge of Mercy Corps systems and procedures (particularly Mercy Corps procurement systems) is desirable;
- Ability and willingness to travel to unstable areas of the states and operate comfortably in these areas.
- Ability to maintain high integrity in performing assigned responsibilities, excellent problem-solving skills, and ability to act as an intermediary between program and operations staff to ensure smooth process flow while maintaining a balance between program implementation and compliance with Mercy Corps and donor policies Fast thinker and creative problem-solving. Flexibility and creativity in planning.
- Ability to take initiative, learn quickly and be accountable for results. Ability to understand the larger picture while remaining focused on the details.
- Awareness of and sensitivity to multi-cultural international development work. Even temperament and a good sense of humour. Ability to get along and familiarize with nuanced roles and personalities. High-security awareness.
Application Closing Date
22nd June, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online