Officer, Communications at Edo State Basic Education Sector Transformation (EdoBEST) – TDPel Jobs
EdoBEST – The Edo State Government launched the Edo Basic Education Sector Transformation (EdoBEST) programme in 2018, to revolutionize basic education across the state. The programme is designed to deliver on the Governor’s core belief that ‘’once you get basic education right, everything else falls in place.’’ EdoBEST recognizes that a strong educational foundation will launch its children into a future of success and takes this responsibility seriously. The programme uses a holistic approach that centers on scientifically-based learning materials, a data-driven model and continuous capacity building.
EdoBEST is on track to serve hundreds of thousands of children across all government primary and junior secondary schools in the state, improving their learning outcomes and their life opportunities. Critically, the program is also investing in the professional development of government teachers, school leaders and education managers; providing capacity building for thousands of civil servants. Working hand in hand with the state government to entrench quality education and the structures that enable it is dynamic and urgent work. We need team members that are deeply passionate, thrive in ever-changing environments and enjoy digging into challenges. We are truly a team of trailblazers working to ensure that the children of Edo State have the opportunity to maximize their potential. We need those that are committed to this transformative programme, and inspired by its ambition, to join us!
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Officer, Communications
Location: Benin-City, Edo
Employment Type: Full-time
- The Strategy Group is responsible for our overall direction in education service, designing our verbal and visual brand, communicating our work internally and externally, providing insight into the ecosystems within which we work, measuring the impact of our programs, engaging our government partners in programming, ensuring regulatory compliance, and expanding the reach of our services into new geographies. Creative, Communications, Insights, Measurement & Evaluation, Quality Assurance, Policy & Partnerships, and New Opportunities are all departments within the Strategy Group. Collaboration between and coordination of each of these department’s functions is critical to ensure that every child has access to an education that develops her full potential and creates the foundation for prosperity for the country.
- The Communications team is housed with the Strategy group. It collaborates across departments and programmes to create and execute compelling strategies; locally and globally.
- Communications has a wide portfolio of responsibilities including external and internal relations, advocacy, strategy, digital, reputation management and media relations. We are focussed on ensuring that the exceptional achievements being made across a wide portfolio of programming are effectively and impactfully communicated.
- We lead, develop and support strategies in multiple programmes and continents simultaneously; shaping and influencing the external environments in which we work. We pride ourselves in being able to respond quickly and effectively at all times.
About the Role
- We are looking for a proactive team player to support EdoBEST through external and internal communications. You will support the objectives of the program and our government partners in the creation and delivery of proactive narrative, ensuring its broad based delivery to stakeholders via multiple platforms. You will be telling the EdoBEST story across all channels, creating content, and strengthening our interactions.
- Our ideal candidate will have a strong understanding of all mass communications channels and the ability to design impactful content that optimises news and social media. The candidate should be capable of running digital media and handling websites. They will be an extremely effective written communicator, a planner, and creative. They should possess a keen sense of ownership and quick execution.
What You will Do
- Build and maintain active relationships with mediapartners (i.e. education desk correspondents and editors, bloggers etc.)
- Monitor and report media trends and activities ofEdoBEST,key stakeholder and key issues coverage in the media.
- Develop multimedia content and collateral generated from across ourEdoBESTschools that tell the powerful story of whatEdoBESTdoes and importantly how it does what it does.
- Support management and updating of the website regularly by creating rich and engaging content.
- Support, maintain and upload digital communications to social media platforms sharing relevant content, photographs and videos on a regular basis.
- Develop a content calendar for all electronic delivery channels including websites (internal and external), social media (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc.);
- Support and build our events and public speaking platform within Beni and across Nigeria.
- Support the team in delivering the agreed departmental strategy, plans and standards.
- Carry out research to drive communications andengagementinitiativesand plans using a range of sources, including the Internet, Intranet, publications and other external contacts, including government bodies, and other organisations.in order to obtain relevant information that can contribute to communications strategies.
- Work within short term and long-term communications plans as conveyed by the Director of Communications
- Carry out stakeholder mapping and stakeholder lists management
- Draft and produce written correspondence such as press releases, quotes, operational notes, letters, reports and other documents as required, using word processing, databases and spreadsheets to required standards.
- Undertake specific other communications projects and activities as necessary.
What You Should Have
- Minimum of first degree in Communications or related field.
- 3 years experience in a core communications role (in house or agency)
- An awareness of the media and political landscape both locally and nationally.
- Familiarity and experience of using digital editing tools such as Premier Pro, Adobe and WordPress.
- Understanding of state and local government public office structures.
- Ability to build and maintain stakeholder relationships within a productive working context.
- Proven ability to produce compelling material and stories for external audiences.
- Proven ability to collate, produce and edit multimedia content.
- Well-developed written and verbal communication skills to deal effectively, efficiently and appropriately with internal and external stakeholders including the media.
- Ability to successfully influence and negotiate with individuals and achieve objectives through excellent relationships.
- Experience of collecting data from various sources, and ability to analyse and present findings clearly for internal and external communications including for press releases.
- Proven ability to prioritise and organise own workload effectively and efficiently and meet deadlines.
- Well-developed ability to work well with others as part of a team, providing support as required, and build and maintain effective working relationships.
- A detailed doer – You have a track record of getting things done. You’re organized and responsive. You take ownership of every idea you touch and execute it to a fine level of detail, setting targets, engaging others, and doing whatever it takes to get the job done. You can multi-task dozens of such projects at once and never lose sight of the details. Likely, you have some experience in a start-up or other rapid-growth company.
- A creative problem-solver – Educational transformation programmes come with massive and constant challenges. On top of that, EdoBEST works in often fragile, sometimes volatile low-resource communities and with complex government systems. You need to be flexible and ready to get everything done effectively, quickly, and affordably with the materials at hand.
- A relentless advocate – The children we serve and teachers we empower never leave your mind. You know them, get them, have shared a meal with them (or would be happy to in the future). You would never shrink back from shaking a parent’s hand or picking up a crying child, no matter what the person was wearing or looked like. Every decision you make considers their benefit, experience, and value.
- A malleable learner – You believe you can always do better. You welcome constructive criticism and provide it freely to others. You know you only get better tomorrow when others point out where you’ve missed things or failed today.
- A data-driven decision-maker-When making decisions, you don’t rely on your intuition alone. You collect data, you analyze it and make decisions with clear justifications.
- A curious investigator – You ask why a lot. You don’t just take what you see and accept it. You wonder why it is that way, and are aware that the world we see is created by human choices and actions – and it could be different. You wonder, and see the world as wonderful even when you want to change a part of it that is unjust.
Application Closing Date
19th July, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online