Mamelodi Sundowns were declared the Nedbank Cup champions of the previous season after defeating Marumo Gallants 2-1 in extra time.
The South African website reports that Masandawana will begin their championship defense at home against Richards Bay FC in one of four all-DStv Premiership Round of 32 contests.
The Nedbank Cup has existed in its current form since the 2008 season, making this season the sixteenth overall.
In 1971, the competition was initially called as the Life Challenge Cup.
In 1976 and 1977, it was known as the Benson and Hedges Trophy. From 1978 through 1987, it was known as the Mainstay Cup.
From 1988 through 2002, it was known as the Bob Save Super Bowl, however 1997 and 2002 saw no competition.
Absa was the title sponsor of the Absa Cup from 2003 to 2007, after which Nedbank has been the title sponsor from 2008 to the present.
Mamelodi Sundowns won their fourth Nedbank Cup as we know it last season, while SuperSport United have won the title three times.
Orlando Pirates have won two championships, while Moroka Swallows, Bidvest Wits, Kaizer Chiefs, Free State Stars, TS Galaxy, and Tshakhuma Tsha Madzivhandila have each won one.
The champions will receive R7 million in prize money and qualify for the CAF Confederation Cup next season.
2008 NEDBANK CUP CHAMPIONS: Mamelodi Sundowns
2008/09 – Moroka Swallows
2009/10 – Bidvest Wits
2010/11 – Orlando Pirates
SuperSport United in 2011/12
2012/13 – Kaizer Chiefs
2013/14 – Orlando Pirates
2014/15 – Mamelodi Sundowns
SuperSport United in 2015/16
SuperSport United in the 2016/17 season
Free State Stars in the 2017/18 season
2018/19 – TS Galaxy
2019/20 – Mamelodi Sundowns
2020/21 – Tshakhuma Tsha Madzivhandila
2021/22 – Mamelodi Sundowns
2022/23 – ?
↯↯↯Read More On The Topic On TDPel Media ↯↯↯
Also On TDPel Media
- Queens NYPD seeking for man who randomly assaulted women
- Florida adolescent Aiden Fucci admits to fatally stabbing 13-year-old cheerleader Tristyn Bailey
- Former Goldman Sachs executive Harvey Schwartz has been named CEO of Carlyle Group
- Bethany Hamilton, a surfer, says she will not compete against trans women
- I almost perished from $117K in black-market BBL injections
- “The View” Jokes About Bored Ben Affleck at Grammys: “J.Lo Should’ve Brought” Mum
- National Enquirer acquired for $100 million to indicted former MoviePass CEO: report
- Dell is eliminating almost 6,500 positions as the PC market declines
- Rasta The Artist honors Riky Rick at Cotton Festival 2023
- Emirates now offers MORE Cape Town flights