N.Korea confirms submarine launch of new ballistic missile

N.Korea confirms submarine launch of new ballistic missile

North Korea has confirmed it successfully tested a new submarine-launched ballistic missile, state media confirmed on Wednesday, a move that analysts said could be aimed at more quickly fielding an operational missile submarine.

The statement from state media came a day after South Korea’s military reported that it believed North Korea had fired a submarine-launched ballistic missile off its east coast, the latest in a a string of North Korean missile test.

According to spokeswoman, Jen Psaki, “The United States remained open to engaging diplomatically with North Korea over its weapons programs.

“The White House urged North Korea to refrain from further provocations.


Pyongyang so far has rejected those overtures,accusing the United States and South Korea of talking diplomacy while ratcheting up tensions with their own military activities.

The United States and Britain plan to raise the North’s latest test during a closed-door U.

N.

Security Council meeting on Wednesday, diplomats said.

The new-type SLBM was launched from the same submarine involved in a 2016 test of an older SLBM.

North Korea has a large fleet of aging submarines, but has yet to deploy operational ballistic missile submarines beyond the experimental Gorae-class boat used in the tests.

READ ALSO: N.

Korean leader says US and S.

Korea threaten peace
 
Kamila/Reuters
 
N.

Korea confirms submarine launch of new ballistic missile

↯↯↯Read More On The Topic On TDPel Media Below↯↯↯

»Share Your Opinion On TDPel Media«