If Mike Tannenbaum were in Ryan Poles’ position, he would trade Justin Fields for Alabama quarterback Bryce Young with the first overall selection in the 2023 NFL Draft.
In an appearance on ESPN’s “Get Up” on Tuesday, Tannenbaum stated that he still believes Fields will be a “good quarterback” and possibly a player who can crack the NFL’s top 10 at the position, but that the return the Bears’ general manager could get would help Chicago develop around Young.
Tannenbaum stated, “When I (trade Fields) and acquire at least a first- and third-round pick, I will reset Bryce Young’s rookie contract and be able to acquire at least four starting-caliber players.”
Tannenbaum contrasted the potential scenario to the Jaguars, who added wide receiver Christian Kirk, offensive tackle Brandon Scherff, and tight end Evan Engram to round out their offensive unit around former No. 1 overall choice Trevor Lawrence. In Doug Pederson’s first season as head coach, the Jaguars won seven of their final nine games to take the AFC South crown from the Titans and qualify for the playoffs.
“If I could turn Justin Fields into essentially six quality players and get Bryce Young, who I believe will be the better player, I would make that move,” said Tannenbaum, who served as the Jets’ general manager from 2006 to 2012.
Despite starting 3-12 games in his second NFL season, Fields displayed star potential. Under first-year offensive coordinator Luke Getsy and head coach Matt Eberflus, he rushed for 1,143 yards and eight touchdowns, connecting numerous spectacular rushes, while passing for 17 touchdowns.
In his third year of college at Alabama, Young passed for 3,328 yards and 32 touchdowns. In his three-year career with the Crimson Tide, which concluded with a victory over Kansas State in the Sugar Bowl, he carried for an additional four touchdowns for a total of 87 scores.
The Bears secured the No. 1 pick when the Texans completed a late 2-point conversion to defeat the Colts, so preventing the Bears from retaining the top pick.
↯↯↯Read More On The Topic On TDPel Media ↯↯↯
Also On TDPel Media
- Turkey and Syria earthquake deaths are about 9,000
- ActionSA, ministers face beach pollution lawsuit
- Sadly, another Mpumalanga traffic officer is killed while on duty
- Trump slams Biden in State of the Union rebuttal
- Man and woman drown at Frazer Beach
- RJ Barrett wanting to play Knicks final game before NBA trade deadline
- Thief kicks NYC straphanger down subway stairs: cops
- Biden immigration problem to cost NYC $4.2B, twice Eric Adams’ estimate
- Grammy-winning artist Zakes Bantwini’s net worth, booking fee, and other details
- Brandi Glanville Romanced Caroline Manzo’s While Filming ‘RHUGT’: Report