Medical Activity Manager at Medecins Sans Frontieres – Holland – TDPel Jobs
Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an international, private, non-governmental, non-profit humanitarian organization. Our organization offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters, to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. We have been working in Nigeria since February 1996. A Memorandum of Understanding between Medecins Sans Frontieres and the Federal Government of Nigeria facilitates this. We are at present co-operating with the Federal Ministry of Health, State and Local Government departments of health on various health projects.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Medical Activity Manager
Employment Type: Full-time
Main Objective and Responsibility of the Position
- Defining, coordinating and monitoring the medical activities under his/her responsibility according to MSF protocols, standards and procedures in order to ensure the delivery of quality medical care for patients and their communities as well as to improve the health condition of the target population.
Description of the Responsibilities / Activities
- Coordinating, assessing and supervising the proper functioning of the medical activities (Measles, cholera, meningitis, mobile clinics etc.), according to MSF protocols, standards and procedures and through the correct compilation and analysis of medical data regarding patients’ health conditions.
- Participating in the definition of annual planning and budget for the project and in the follow up of the programs / project. Supervising and ensuring that medical activities objectives under his/her responsibility are achieved, reporting to the technical referent any problem arising in the service
- Checking all administrative procedures related to patients’ follow-up (individual card filling, registers, paper exit, discharge, transfers) are carried out correctly and according to MSF procedures.
- Ensuring an efficient pharmacy management and monitoring the rational use of them. In coordination with the project biomedical service supervising the appropriate use of medical devices and anticipating future needs. Preparing the medical orders needed to implement the medical activities under his/her responsibility, and identifying and reporting to the line manager, non-medical support needs (material, infrastructure, transport, etc.)
- Coordinating and monitoring the daily working plan of the team under his/her responsibility (absent personnel, vacations, tracking leaves).
- Planning and supervising, in close coordination with the HR department, the associated processes (recruitment, training, performance evaluation, development and internal communication) of the staff under his/her responsibility in order to improve staff capabilities and to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required.
- Participating in the monthly reports according to guidelines (i.e. SitReps, medical statistical reports, etc.).
- Carry out active surveillance on population displacement assessment in Benue state a well as monitoring disease outbreraks and plan for appropriate response while providing guidence and follow up on the surveillance team to ensure correct demographic data collection
- To fill gaps of MTL, MD, and the Pharmacy-storekeeper during their absence.
- In collaboration with the MTL and all departmental heads, participates in the planning, organizing and implementation of Benue project activities including emergency interventions.
- Provide guidance to the mobile clinic medical teams, outbreak treatment centre teams, health promoters or community health workers; MSF and MoH to ensure correct diagnosis, prescription, dispensing and information dessemination according to the MSF guidelines and protocols.
- Closely collaborate with the MTL and PC in the translation of the project proposal’s medical objectives into a successful work plan.
- Ensure a smooth coordination of referrals between MSF and all the MoH and non-MoH designated referrral facilities, follow up on refereed patients while continiously monitor the quality of services rendered and patient outcomes in collaboration with the MSF refrral Nurse.
- Collaborate with MTL and MoH in organizing and facilitating reactive vaccination campaigns as well as preventive vaccination campaigns when required.
- Be the National Staff health focal person.
Reporting and Administrative:
- Compile MMR reports from all medical departrment supervisors and share with the MTL as per the agreed timelines.
- Ensure proper documentation of staff payment and perdiem sheets during interventions.
- MAM in collaboration with the nurse supervisor should ensure the scheduling duty rosters and shift for the medical team is done and followed accordingly.
- Participate in routine Benue reports as well as intervention reports.
- Participate in trip planning and pre-depature organization
- Follow up and ensure timely submission of hospital claims from the designated hospitals where MSF is referring their patients.
Stock and Drug Management:
- In collaboration with the MTL and other Key medical Supervisors, participate in the formulaton of the PMSL and FMCs
- Participate in the monthly TSR analysis together with the Supply team and the MTL.
- Routinely monitor prescription parttens by clinicians to ensure adherence MSF protocols.
- Rotinely give feedback to clinicians in terms of ruptures, overstocks and propose for solutions that include use of alternative drugs e.t.c.
- Ensure proper consumption tracking of medical items and sharing this information with the MTL as may be required.
- Participate in international medical order processes.
Human Resource Management:
- To supervise, coach and support the medical teams and facilitate training as needed in the field.
- Participate in the planning and implementation of Emergency preparedness training for emergency pool staff.
- Liaise with the MTL on medical human resources requirements to ensure reasonable coverage.
- Collaborate with the MTL in transferring information necessary for updating emergency pool staff profile after E-prep trainings or post-intervention.
- To contribute if necessary to the updating of the job descriptions of the medical team.
- Ensure that everyone is timeously taking their annual leaves.
- Ensure staff under his supervision understands their role and what they are expected of.
Networking & Representation:
- Together with the MTL, participate in representing MSF in stakeholders meetings and maintaining good relations with the local authorities such as the MOH and SEMA.
- Proactively and continiously build networks with relevant partners and authorities including those in neighbouring states in order to have more interlocators for passive disease survaillance.
- Routinely conduct actor mapping in the state and understanding their response capacity.
- To represent MSF and safeguard the identity, principles and policy of MSF.
- Closely monitor events of recent violent clashes determining the origin/reason of the conflict and possible needs/area of intervention including RH SGBV.
- Ensure all alerts coming from MSF and outside sources are triangulated and verified for validity before conducting assessments.
- Plan and conduct assessments if information from alerts and verification deems it necessary to.
- Participate in exploratory missions, operational research activities and outbreak investigations and report findings using the outbreak toolkit.
- Assess the capacity of response from the MoH in case of medical emergencies.
- Be the lead in analysing the quality of data and information from assessments and participate in making conclusions and recommendations accordingly.
- Ensure that all staff members understand the Staff health policy and always update them whenever there are any changes.
- Ensure adherence to staff health policy by the staff as well as the health insurance company.
- Liaise with the MTL for possibility of exceptionally financially supporting services that the medical insurance does not cover.
Requirements (Qualifications / Experience / Knowledge)
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Essential – Medical doctor. Desirable specialization or training in Tropical Medicine or related studies.
- Desired – Medical Doctor Degree
- Specialization or training in tropical medicine would be an asset.
- Essential – Two years working experience related to the diploma/degree and previous experience in MSF in the field
- Desirable – Working experience in MSF or other NGO’s
- Fluent in English (verbal/ written) and knowledge of Tiv is desirable
- Essential computer literacy (word, excel and internet)
- Strategic Vision L2
- Leadership L2
- People Management and Development L3
- Service Orientation L3
- Teamwork and Cooperation L4.
Application Closing Date
29th June, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview
- MSF is an equal opportunities employer and promotes diversity within the organization