Marumo Gallants stun Cape Town City in injury time

Marumo Gallants stun Cape Town City in injury time

Marumo Gallants ended a two-match losing streak in the DStv Premiership with a thrilling 2-1 victory over Cape Town City at the Peter Mokaba Stadium on Saturday evening.

Ranga Chivaviro gave Bahlabane Ba Ntwa the lead at Polokwane in the 42nd minute, but Wayde Lekay equalized for Eric Tinkler’s team in the 84th minute to presumably earn a share of the points.

However, Chivaviro had the ultimate say as he scored twice deep into added time to seal a last-gasp triumph that moved the Limpopo club two points ahead of the bottom two in 11th place, while relegating the Citizens to 12th place in the standings.

Gallants were seeking their second win under Dan Malesela, which would bring them out of the relegation zone, while City aimed to make it back-to-back victories following their 2-1 victory over Chippa United in the previous week.

[embedded content]Katlego Otladisa attempted a long-range shot in the opening minute, but Darren Keet made a spectacular stop to preserve the scoreless draw.

Two minutes later, Luke Daniels had an opportunity at the other end, but he missed the left post with a header off Thamsanqa Mkhize’s cross.

Otladisa forced Keet to make another save with a shot from within the box just before the half-hour mark, but after that, things settled down as the Mother City side enjoyed more of the ball possession in the first half.

In the 36th minute, Daniels was able to score on his second effort, but his shot from within the penalty area was directly towards Washington Arubi.

Sibusiso Sibeko was then replaced by Chivaviro, who opened the goal just four minutes after coming off the bench. Sizwe Mdlinzo picked him out inside the penalty area, and Chivaviro slotted the ball into the bottom left corner of the net.

Khanyisa Mayo was brought by Tinkler at the opening of the second half, and City’s leading scorer was immediately engaged in the action, with a header from a cross by Darwin Gonzalez that required a save in the 47th minute.

On the hour mark, Otladisa again tested Keet with a long-range shot, while Mayo blasted a long-range effort well wide of the left post 68 minutes later.

Mpho Makola’s header from a corner kick in the 76th minute sailed just wide of the left post as City pressed for an equaliser. Two minutes later, Arubi made two stops to deny Lekay’s close-range header and long-range effort.

Six minutes from the end, Lekay scored from inside the penalty area after receiving Makola’s excellent assist and beating Arubi.

Keet made a save to deny Chivaviro’s long-distance shot, while Mayo’s close-range attempt just missed the right upright.

Chivaviro pounced in the fifth minute of stoppage time and fired past Keet from within the penalty area to give the Gallants a crucial victory.

»Marumo Gallants stun Cape Town City in injury time«

↯↯↯Read More On The Topic On TDPel Media ↯↯↯