The official land-speed record (measured over one mile) is 1,227.985 kilometers per hour (763.035 miles per hour) (Mach 1.020), which was established by Andy Green (UK) in Thrust SSC on 15 October 1997 in the Black Rock Desert, Nevada, United States.
Although Thrust SSC is the first automobile to break the sound barrier, it is rumored that the Budweiser Rocket Car, driven by Stan Barrett (US), attained 1,190.377 km/h (739.666 mi/h) at Edwards Air Force Base, California, USA, on 17 December 1979. The published speed of Mach 1.0106 was not sanctioned by the USAF as the Digital Instrument Radar was neither calibrated nor verified. The radar information was not generated directly by the vehicle, but rather by an operator using a television screen to target a dish.
Two Rolls-Royce Spey 202 jet engines that provide 222 kN (50,000 lb) of thrust power the vehicle.
Land speed, quickest automobile. Photograph of the Guinness World Records
THIS WEEK’S GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS: January 2nd, 2017.
Wednesday, January 3
Thursday, January 4
Friday, January 5
Friday, January 6th
ALL RECORDS FROM LAST WEEK: 26 – 30 December
Are you familiar with a ridiculous Guinness World Record?
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or a WhatsApp message to 060 011 0211 if this is the case, and The South African will publish the ones we deem to be the most extraordinary.
↯↯↯Read More On The Topic On TDPel Media ↯↯↯
Also On TDPel Media
- Ex-Pirates star says Bucs made him a $1 millionaire
- Salma Hayek says she was “dragged” to her wedding to François-Henri Pinault
- Influential model discovered dead in her car with 11 stab wounds
- Katie Rost, an alumna of ‘RHOP,’ confesses she relapsed: “I failed,” but I am “restarting.”
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry are set to testify in Samantha’s defamation action
- Investigators say Putin supplied Buk missile that downed MH17 over Ukraine
- Andries was a bold and talented athlete – Steve Barker
- King Charles is the first monarch without a crown to be featured on stamps
- Leg aches and pains can be alleviated with this at-home compression treatment
- According to a rumor, Mark Zuckerberg’s Meta would “flatten” middle managers in a cost-cutting attempt