BBC Radio Scotland listeners were given a moment of raw honesty when presenter Kenny Macintyre, 57, gently broke the news that he has prostate cancer.
He revealed it during Off The Ball on Saturday afternoon, chatting with hosts Tam Cowan and Stuart Cosgrove, and did so in the calm, matter-of-fact way he’s known for.
A Family History He Couldn’t Ignore
Kenny explained that prostate cancer wasn’t some distant worry for him.
Three of his uncles had been affected, and that family history pushed him to stay on top of regular PSA blood tests every three months.
It was those routine checks—rather than symptoms—that eventually flagged the problem.
Screening Debate Heating Up
His announcement comes at an awkward time for the health world.
Just days earlier, NHS advisors stirred debate by declining to recommend a full national screening programme for prostate cancer.
Instead, the UK’s National Screening Committee suggested that only men with specific high-risk genetic mutations should have routine screenings.
This cautious stance arrives even after a large study showed that screening men could cut prostate cancer deaths by 13%, roughly saving one life for every 456 men tested—comparable to the country’s existing breast and bowel screening programmes.
Public Feedback Still to Come
The committee’s draft guidance is now out in the open and will go through a 12-week public consultation.
Meanwhile, prostate cancer remains the most common cancer in the UK, with around 63,000 new cases each year and 12,000 deaths—yet still no national screening equivalent to other major cancer programmes.
Kenny’s Message to Men Over 50
On the radio, Kenny used his own experience as a plea to others: men over 50, especially those with a family link to the disease, should push for PSA tests rather than wait for symptoms.
He admitted that if he hadn’t pressed for regular testing, he might not have caught the cancer early.
“I had absolutely no signs. Everything looked normal,” he told listeners.
“It was only the rise in my PSA readings that gave the game away.”
Support From BBC Scotland
BBC Scotland director Hayley Valentine released a statement praising Kenny for being so open, adding that the organisation is firmly behind him.
She also hoped his honesty nudges more men into getting checked—a sentiment echoed by many in the medical world.
Pressure Mounts for National Screening
The Daily Mail has been campaigning for a targeted national prostate cancer screening programme, especially for men at higher risk: Black men, men with a family history, and those who carry genetic mutations.
Health Secretary Wes Streeting responded to the committee’s recommendations by saying he will dig into the evidence thoroughly before any final decision is made in March.
He emphasized that he wants earlier diagnosis and faster treatment but must weigh the potential harms of wider testing too.
Big Voices Call for Bold Decisions
Former prime minister David Cameron, who recently revealed his own prostate cancer diagnosis, urged Streeting to “be brave and bold,” arguing that targeted screening is essential to preventing avoidable deaths.
Comedian Sir Stephen Fry, who underwent surgery for prostate cancer in 2018, also voiced his frustration, saying men “deserve so much better.”
Emotional Reactions From Those Fighting the Disease
Sky News anchor Dermot Murnaghan, living with incurable stage-four prostate cancer, spoke of being “disappointed” that the committee didn’t back full screening.
Cycling legend Sir Chris Hoy, whose cancer has spread to his bones, echoed the sadness—calling the recommendation a “very small step” that falls far short of what’s needed.
Both men promised to keep using their platforms to push for change.
Charities Aren’t Giving Up
Laura Kerby, chief executive of Prostate Cancer UK, said the decision will be a “blow” for the many families campaigning for a screening programme.
While she admitted the move to screen men with BRCA mutations is progress, she stressed it will save only a fraction of the lives that broader screening could protect.
Still, she noted the committee’s shift marks the first time it has supported any form of prostate cancer screening—proof, she said, that evidence can move mountains.
What Happens Now?
The next step is the public consultation period, after which the committee will finalize its recommendation in March.
Until then, campaigners, medics, patients—and public figures like Kenny Macintyre—will be working to keep the issue firmly in the spotlight.
Share on Facebook «||» Share on Twitter «||» Share on Reddit «||» Share on LinkedIn