Individual Training Consultant – Fire Safety Sensitization and Disaster Risk Reduction in Site and Settlement at Mercy Corps – TDPel Jobs
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Individual Training Consultant – Fire Safety Sensitization and Disaster Risk Reduction in Site and Settlement
Employment Type: Contract
- The Goal of the program, Addressing Diverse and Acute Primary Threats (ADAPT) to Human Security in North Eastern Nigeria, is to save lives and prevent human suffering among displaced, returnee and host households in Borno State.
- The Goal aligns with BHA’s overarching mission statement to “save lives, alleviate human suffering, and reduce the physical, social, and economic impact of rapid and slow-onset disasters”.
- The scope of the program is also in alignment with the three strategic objectives of the 2019 – 2021 Humanitarian Response strategy for Nigeria, which are:
- Save lives by providing timely and integrated multi-sector assistance and protection interventions to the most vulnerable.
- Enhanced timely, unhindered, and equitable access to multi-sector assistance and protection interventions through principled humanitarian action.
- Strengthen the resilience of the affected population, promote early recovery and voluntary and safe durable solutions to displacement and support social cohesion.
- Under the ADAPT Shelter program, Mercy Corps will propose a range of shelter solutions to meet the various needs of newly displaced persons at reception centers and/or at transition sites, existing IDPs in over-congested camps and the IDPs living with host communities, returnees and host families. Across four intervention types, 2650 HHs in total will benefit.
- A fire in an informal settlement can affect thousands of people. Fires take lives, cause serious injuries, destroy property and have long term impacts on livelihoods. Recovery is a long and difficult process, which can be exacerbated in informal settlements where financial instability, insecure tenure and a lack of insurance are common. But this global fire problem remains largely neglected. Fire events in informal settlements are rarely reported in international media, even when they amount to major community-wide disasters.
- Moreover, there are too few investments in fire risk reduction for informal settlements globally. Limited resources and a myriad of competing needs and risks inhibit communities’ ability to improve fire safety.
- Where resources are devoted to fire safety, investments are seldom informed by a holistic consideration of fire risk and potential risk reduction options. Local fire safety lessons learned and success stories are also rarely shared between settlements, let alone across borders. It is time to empower communities with fire safety knowledge, resources, and support so that they can become resilient to fire. This framework is an initial step towards facilitating this movement.
- To facilitate the proper implementation of Mercy Corps’ Shelter and Settlements Team responses in Camps and Settlements under ADAPT, the consultant will organize 6 training of trainers (ToTs) sessions on Fire Safety and Disaster Risk Reduction in Camps and Settlements.
- The sessions will be organized in Maiduguri, Ngala, Dikawa, Ngala, Damboa, Gwoza and Bama.
- Consultant MUST be based in Borno State
- Transportation of Consultant to the various deep field offices ( Bama, Gwoza, Ngala, Damboa and Dikwa) via UNHAS Chopper based on availability;
- Per diem
- Accommodation (Humanitarian Hub) in the deep field offices (Bama, Gwoza, Dikwa, Ngala and Dambao). In a location where there is no Humanitarian Hub, Mercy Corps will accommodate the consultant in its guest house
- The Consultant will be paid on the number of days worked
- Provision of training stationeries
- Provision of venue for the training.
The Consultant will:
- Train Mercy Corps & Sector partners’ 20 team members, 20 volunteer trainers form each deep field location (20 x 5) and facilitate 1 step down on the job session in each LGA (5) to guide the graduated trainers.
- Developing and testing basic Training Manual and IEC materials on the subject for the trainers in English, Hausa and Kanuri
- Develop manual/Training guide
- Printing of manual/training guide
- Report writing.
The training will be focused on Fire Safety and Disaster Risk Reduction in site and Settlements, to enable the trainees to:
- Roll out full length Fire Safety & DRR in site and settlements
- Design a fire evacuation route for their settlement
- Establish a self-help mechanism to prevent / fight the fire incidents
- Analyses potential disaster risks and hazards in their settlements
- Map the available resources and planning to establish the coping / resistance / fighting mechanism within their settings
- Sensitize the neighborhood to proactively plan and roll-out a self-help mechanism ahead of the rainy/storm/flooding seasons to minimize the damage and loss of resources and lives.
Total Level of Effort:
- 45 days (Including weekends)
- He/She must have proven previous experience in delivering similar trainings.
- A minimum of Master’s Degree in related field with 3 – 10 years work experience.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should forward their CV, Technical proposal, Work plan, Evidence of similar work done, Daily consultancy fee, List of materials needed with Estimated costs to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the Job Title as the subject of the mail.