Tuesday, December 27, 2022 was the 200th day of power outages in South Africa in 2022, with more to follow.
This represents 55 percent of the year’s days.
Bloomberg reports that Eskom has instituted rotating blackouts this year due to the constant breakdown of its aging and badly maintained power stations.
Energy constraints have impacted investment and production.
WEEKLY POWER CUTOFFS WILL CONTINUE THIS WEEK
Eskom generates insufficient revenue to pay its operating costs and interest expense, leaving it dependent on state subsidies for survival.
Last week, departing CEO Andre de Ruyter warned that the outlook for next year’s power supply is extremely tight, and that blackouts will continue until an extra 4,000 to 6,000 megawatts of generating capacity is added to the grid.
In the meantime, according to The South African website, Eskom will maintain Stage 2 and Stage 3 load shedding until at least Friday of this week.
↯↯↯Read More On The Topic On TDPel Media ↯↯↯
Also On TDPel Media
- Balenciaga joins children’s advocacy group after BDSM teddy bear incident
- “Tshedi is the show”: Fans of “The Wife” commend Motsoaledi Setumo
- “Age is just a number,” Carl Niehaus argues in response to the “blesser” moniker
- Updated figures place Elon Musk within striking distance of the world’s wealthiest position
- Iceland project to combat child drinking and drug use in George
- Death toll from earthquakes surpasses 16,000 as rescue chances diminish
- Gail and Kabelo Mabalane celebrate their tenth wedding anniversary
- R32 million PowerBall winner has come forward to claim their prize
- “My time will come”: Andile Mpisane responds to coach’s remarks
- Jake White returns to the Bulls following a near-death encounter