Head of Translation Division at the African Union (AU) – TDPel Jobs
The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organisation of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Head of Translation Division
Requisition ID: 682
Location: Addis, Ababa – Ethiopia
Job Grade: P5
Contract Type: Regular
Number of Direct Reports: 64
Number of Indirect Reports: 15
Organization: African Union Commission – AUC
Directorate: Conference Management and Publications
Reports to: Director, Conference Management and Publications
Purpose of Job
- Directs and manages the daily operations of the Translation Division in order to achieve the strategic objectives of the directorate and the AU’s overall goals.
- Designs and implements policies, programs and projects to achieve the directorate’s strategic objectives.
- Manages and supervises employees within the division, ensures the timely delivery of the directorate’s goals and effective staff performance evaluation;
- Designs policies, strategies and programs to contribute to the effective implementation of relevant AU Policy Organs Decisions;
- Ensures the delivery of the division’s annual targets in line with the directorate’s overall goals and ensures robust and timely monitoring and reporting;
- Provides technical leadership and ensures efficient functioning of all Units within the Division
- Manages the work of the Division and supervises direct reports to ensure their effective performance in line with the organization’s performance management policy and system;
- Engages stakeholders within Members States and Regional Economic Communities (RECs)/Regional Mechanisms(RMs) and relevant international organisations in designing and implementing strategies.
- Maintains thematic partnerships in support of the mandate of the Division;
- Maintains regular working relations with senior stakeholders in Member States and partner institutions in the execution of the Division’s mandate.
- Represents the organisation and communicates its position at conferences.
- Contributes to the preparation of periodic financial and budget execution reports and monitor budget execution at division level.
- Ensures the effective management of funds contributed to the organization;
- Manages risk within the division and recommends mitigation strategies
- Contributes to the development of the departmental business continuity plan and ensures implementation at division level
- Maintains a positive work environment that facilitates collaboration and information sharing and is conducive to attracting, retaining, and motivating diverse talent.
- Formulate policies and guidelines governing translations and work programmes in close consultation with the Director;
- Develop a database of reputable translators in AU Member States;
- Organize and coordinate the work of Revisers and Translators both regular and freelance;
- Analyze translation services and procedures quality and develop improvements;
- Develop manuals on procedures and best practices;
- Responsible for advising on the recruitment of freelancers for the Division and all translation activities, both outsourcing and in-house translations;
- Introduce modern working methods in the Division;
- Evaluate the performance of revisers, translators and secretaries regular/Short-term and freelance within the Translation Division;
- Ensure timeliness of translation and delivery of documents to Departments and Units of the Commission as well as Member States;
- Advise the Director on the acquisition of required translation tools, software and reference books for the use of Revisers and translators, with the ultimate objective of having a proper reference unit and database;
- Undertake any other tasks assigned by the supervisory.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- Master’s Degree in Translation, Interpretation, Languages, or related fields from a recognized institution with twelve (12) years of progressive responsible experience in translation out of which seven (7) years at managerial level and five (5) at supervisory level in similar international organizations;
- Experience in facilitating intergovernmental conference processes and multicultural diplomacy is desirable.
- A demonstrated knowledge in translation software
- A demonstrated ability to initiate and promote collaborative approaches between geographically and culturally disparate partners
- Ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relations both internally and externally
- Ability to develop and delegate clear program goals, plans and actions, including budgets, that are consistent with agreed strategies.
- Ability to effectively lead, supervise, mentor, develop and evaluate staff;
- Excellent Translation Skill;
- Ability to work under pressure and in a multicultural environment;
- Strong organizational, managerial and leadership qualities;
- Proficiency in a minimum of two of the AU working languages, fluency in another AU language is an added advantage
- Strategic Perspective
- Managing Risk
- Developing Others
- Change Management
- Building relationships
- Foster Accountability Culture
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating with impact
- Conceptual thinking
- Job Knowledge and information sharing
- Drive for result
- Fosters Innovation
Tenure of Appointment:
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Indicative basic salary of US$50,746.00 (P5 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment ( 46% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 26,208.00 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Application Closing Date
9th August, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online