Prince Harry and Meghan Markle released a statement defending their decision to call their children Archie and Lilibet ‘prince’ and ‘princess’, stating that it is their ‘birthright’ since their grandfather became Monarch, and that the matter had been ‘settled for some time’ with King Charles.
A source confirmed that Charles had told Prince Harry that his children would be allowed to use royal titles in a ‘private conversation’ after the Queen’s funeral last year.
Although the Sussexes’ children became a prince and princess when King Charles acceded to the throne last September, their titles had not been updated on the Buckingham Palace website until now.
Harry and Meghan’s children remained a plain ‘master’ and ‘miss’ on the website for the past six months, and Buckingham Palace sources had claimed that they were waiting for Harry and Meghan to make a final decision.
However, a spokesman for Harry and Meghan clarified that their children’s titles have been a birthright since their grandfather became Monarch, and that the matter has been settled for some time in alignment with Buckingham Palace.
Lilibet, who was christened at the Sussexes’ home in Montecito, California, on March 3, was described as ‘Princess Lilibet Diana’ in a statement from a spokesman for the couple.
While the title will be used in formal settings, it will not be in everyday conversational use by the couple. It will be up to Lilibet whether she wants to describe herself as a princess.
Despite the Sussexes’ repeated attacks on the institution of the monarchy and members of the Royal Family, there has been correspondence on the issue between the Duke and Duchess of Sussex and royal aides.
Harry and Meghan are understood to be keen to not deny their children their birthright but will allow them the chance to decide for themselves when they are older whether they want to drop or keep using the titles.
Bishop John Harvey Taylor, the Bishop of Los Angeles, who baptized Lilibet at the Sussexes’ home, was a former newspaper reporter and editor for Chula Vista Star News in the 1970s.
He was chief of staff for former US president Richard Nixon between 1984 and 1990 before being ordained as a priest in 2004. The diocese’s website says he has ‘devoted himself to promoting reconciliation, transparency’.