A well-coordinated operation by criminal intelligence and organised crime police has produced fruitful outcomes.
This is as a result of the arrest of a group of men suspected of belonging to a gang that harassed business owners in Gauteng. Thursday’s operation was conducted at an undisclosed site.
According to Brigadier Athlenda Mathe, the national police spokesperson, the accused are linked to more than sixteen incidents of kidnappings including ransom demands.
A special task squad launched a takedown operation and freed an abducted businessman earlier in January.
“At these premises, police also seized five high-performance powered vehicles including two BMWs, two Mercedes Benz sedans, one Toyota Urban Cruiser, 20 cellphones and 30 portable GPS tracking devices,” said Mathe.
General Fannie Masemola, national police commissioner, thanked the multidisciplinary team for the arrest.
He said that the police would continue to penetrate and catch the culprits responsible for a nationwide wave of kidnappings.
“Our message is clear: the SAPS [SA Police Service] is coming for all the criminals, either they make our lives easy by handing themselves in, or we fetch them ourselves,” said Masemola.