– TDPel Jobs
Justice & Empowerment Initiatives (JEI) is a non-profit, non-governmental organization based in Lagos and Port Harcourt, Nigeria, and Cotonou, Benin. We empower poor and marginalized individuals and communities to lead the changes that they would like to see in their own communities whether greater access to justice for the poor, pro-poor urban governance and policy, or community-led insitu upgrading and development. Our work is community driven, community owned, and community sustained. Partner communities identify their needs and set priorities e.g. addressing violence, strengthening land tenure, or building drainages. These priorities feed into all aspects of our work.
We work hand-in-hand with urban poor social movements and grassroots networks, bringing technical expertise in a variety of professions to inform, strengthen and support community-led efforts to solve justice and development problems. Our ultimate goal is to build the capacity of poor and marginalized individuals to set up sustainable community-level and inter-community structures to support and leverage their efforts and resources to bring about lasting change.
We are seeking dynamic, creative, passionate, smart professionals to fill the position below:
Job Title: Financial Literacy Specialist
Location: Lagos, Port Harcourt – Rivers or Cotonou (with regular travel between the 3 cities)
Hours: Full Time
Start Date: Immediately
- We are looking for a professional with significant experience in financial literacy
education and business planning support for microenterprises to join our team as a Financial Literacy Specialist.
- He/she will be an innovative thinker and with strong technical skills, who is committed to supporting financial literacy education aimed at urban poor communities and strengthening financial literacy and business planning/management skills for microentrepreneurs with lower levels of formal education.
- The Financial Literacy Specialist will work with other members of JEI staff
and grassroots community volunteer teams to develop and roll out financial literacy training / capacity building programs and other initiatives aimed at strengthening financial resilience of urban poor households.
- Develop training materials and work with grassroots volunteer teams to roll out community financial literacy and business planning campaigns
- Develop financial model for decentralized bulk-purchase initiatives
- Build capacity of savings cooperatives established to serve urban poor social movements including targeted trainings for members, and professional support to design, model, test out, and iteratively improve the economic initiatives that use pooled resources to increase resilience of urban poor households
- Document and analyze regulatory and other barriers limiting financial inclusion of the urban poor to feed into policy advocacy work and actionoriented publications.
- Participate in project management and other responsibilities beyond financial literacy and business planning as part of the JEI team.
- Degree in Finance, Economics, Business or other relevant field are welcome.
- 3+ years experience in financial literacy, business planning, or related field.
- Demonstrated skills in teaching and training (especially at the grassroots or community level), and extensive knowledge of financial literary and micro-enterprise business planning/capacity building.
- Strong writing and research skills.
- Experience working with grassroots movements a significant plus.
- Experience as an entrepreneur or in a startup environment a plus.
- Bilingual fluency in English and French required.
- Fluency in local languages a plus (incl. Pidgin, Yoruba, Hausa, Egun, Fon).
- Must be willing to work the occasional Saturday.
A competitive salary and benefits will be commensurate with experience.
Application Closing Date
On a rolling basis.