The Edo State Government has declared that the second wave of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic has been contained, as Edo has only one active case that is being managed across its isolation and treatment facilities.
The State COVID-19 Incident Manager, Dr. Andrew Obi, disclosed this during the daily virtual meeting of the State COVID-19 Taskforce, chaired by the state governor, Mr. Godwin Obaseki.
Obi noted that the state has continued to record a progressive decline in active cases, case positivity and fatality rates as well as an impressive rise in recovery rate, noting that the data is an indication that the outbreak has been significantly contained in the state.
He disclosed that Edo has so far collected 31,843 samples and recorded 2,197 confirmed cases, 2,123 recoveries and 73 deaths since December 01, 2020 when the state started tracking the second wave of the pandemic.
Noting that the state has not recorded any COVID-19 related death in the last 23 days, the Incident Manager said the government has intensified the vaccination campaign across all local councils to protect citizens from the deadly virus.
Obi, who charged the elderly, health workers and other eligible members of the public to avail themselves of the opportunity and get inoculated, said Edo has vaccinated over 33, 400 persons in the first phase of the vaccination exercise.
While urging citizens to continue to comply with the state’s preventive protocols against the spread of the infectious disease, he further charged those with COVID-19 symptoms to contact the Edo Emergency Operation Centre on this toll-free number: 08003625000 for assistance.