In response to health concerns, the US Consumer Product Safety Commission walked down comments that it was contemplating outlawing all gas burners nationwide.
In a tweet on Monday, agency commissioner Richard Trumka Jr. said that any proposed rules would only “apply to new goods.” No one’s gas stoves will be targeted by the CPSC. New items are subject to regulations,’ he said.
Rep. Gary Palmer, a Republican member, tweeted his concern that unelected bureaucrats could impose a ban on a device used by millions of Americans, prompting the turnaround.
Sen. Cory Booker and Rep. Dan Beyer, both Democrats, initially suggested a ban in a letter to the CPSC pushing it to act after research revealed a relationship between gas stoves and an increase in asthma cases.
In a Monday U-turn, Trumka stated that President Biden’s Inflation Reduction Act will provide a $840 reimbursement to those who decide to convert to electric stoves.
Gas stoves have been discovered to leak chemicals that might cause cancer, in addition to causing asthma, according to a report released on Monday by the CPSC.
Gas stoves are a “hidden threat,” according to Trumpka, who also said that “every possibility is on the table” and that “items that can’t be made safe may be outlawed.”
The agency may decide to establish requirements for gas stove emissions.
Later this winter, the CPSC is now anticipated to launch a public comment session on the negative effects of gas ranges.
The decision to outlaw gas ranges might be made at that point, perhaps this year.
The news follows the publication of a recent research that revealed that air pollution from gas stoves is responsible for almost one in eight occurrences of pediatric asthma in the US.
This compares the risk of developing asthma from gas cooking emissions to that of passive smoking.
A gas stove emits a variety of carcinogens every day, and about 13 percent of the six million US children who suffer from asthma each year get it this way.
According to research from the Rocky Mountain Institute in Colorado, approximately 35 percent of American houses that have gas stoves should transition to electric induction burners to reduce the spread of carcinogens like nitrogen dioxide and benzene.
Their study is the most recent example of the expanding body of evidence demonstrating the risk associated with owning a gas stove, which may release carcinogenic pollutants that put individuals at risk for serious health consequences.
The study, according to Brady Seals, manager of RMI’s carbon free buildings program, showed that the percentage of children with asthma could be cut by 12.7% by getting rid of gas stoves.
Researchers from Colorado, Australia, and New York examined the harm that gas emissions provide to children and the percentage of American families with gas stoves before coming to the conclusion that having the stoves significantly raised the incidence of asthma.
Using techniques from a 2018 study that found 12.3% of pediatric asthma cases in Australia were linked to cooking on gas ranges, the authors used 2019 census data to calculate what percentage of American children are exposed to asthma-causing chemicals released by gas stoves.
Even more than the national average, certain states have a larger percentage of pediatric asthma cases related to gas ranges. With more than 21 percent, Illinois had the highest PAF rate, while New York’s was just over 19 percent.
In other words, the estimated 18.8% of children asthma in New York might be avoided if all gas stoves were eliminated, stated Ms. Seals.
According to a 2013 study, children who live in houses with gas stoves are also 42 percent more likely to develop asthma.
Even when they are off, gas burners release harmful chemicals into the air. Nitrogen dioxide, a recognized asthma trigger, is produced when food is cooked on a gas stove.
In fact, it was projected that nitrogen dioxide poisoning was the cause of roughly two million instances of children asthma in 2019 alone.
The same pollution is connected to busy roadways. But the pollution in a kitchen with a gas stove can be worse than it is on a busy motorway since interior spaces are more enclosed than outside ones.
Methane, which may impair breathing and speed up the pulse, can also be released by gas stoves.
Additionally, gas stoves that have been turned off may emit benzene. Although scientists think the quantity of benzene released by stoves is not enough to represent a severe threat, the chemical has been related to the emergence of some malignancies.
Gas stoves emit a deadly combination of substances, including hexane, which is known to cause long-term paralysis and nerve damage in the feet, legs, and hands of those who are exposed to it. Previous investigations into the dangerous emissions have shown this.
Since then, lawmakers have requested that the Consumer Product Safety Commission take into account mandating warning labels, range hoods, and performance criteria for gas ranges.
Sen. Booker of New Jersey and Rep. Beyer of Virginia encouraged the commission to take action in a letter sent to the organization last month and referred to gas stove emissions as a “cumulative cost on black, Latino, and low-income homes who disproportionately endure air pollution.”
Later this winter, the Commission intends to launch a discussion session on the risks presented by gas ranges.
As they work to lessen their carbon impact, state and municipal governments are focusing on the usage of natural gas in buildings.
The city council of New York City decided to prohibit natural gas connections in new buildings under seven floors by the end of the year, and almost 100 other cities and counties have also approved rules that demand or promote a shift away from fossil fuel powered structures.
The sale of natural gas-fired furnaces and water heaters will also be outlawed by California’s Air Resources Board by 2030, after a majority decision in September.
However, the makers of gas stoves argue that they shouldn’t be prohibited since they are equally as dangerous as other types of cooking.
Cooking of any sort generates emissions and toxic byproducts, according to a statement from the Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers, which advocates for businesses including Whirlpool Corp.
The group’s vice president, Jill Notini, told Bloomberg that discussing ventilation rather than outlawing a specific technology is where the conversation should focus.
“Banning one particular kind of cooking device won’t help solve the problems with indoor air quality in general.” People may need to adjust their habit and switch on their hoods while cooking.
Distributors of natural gas contend that prohibiting the use of natural gas stoves will increase expenses for businesses and residences while providing little environmental benefit.
According to the American Gas Association, for instance, there is no concrete proof that gas stoves are to blame for lung issues.
According to Karen Harbert, the organization’s president, “The US Consumer Product Safety Commission and EPA do not depict gas ranges as a substantial contributor to unfavorable air quality or as having a danger in their technical or public information literature, recommendations, or regulations.”
“Including natural gas and the infrastructure that carries it is the most practical, realistic method to reach a sustainable future where energy is clean, as well as safe, dependable, and inexpensive.”
Republican energy lobbyist Mike McKenna makes the following claim: “If the CPSC truly intended to do anything about public health, it would prohibit cigarettes or cars long before it went on to address stoves.” Republicans counter that a ban would be further government overreach.
It’s obviously political, he said.