The Edo State Government, as part of improved efforts to contain the second wave of coronavirus (COVID-19), has intensified sample collection across the 18 local government areas of the state, collecting 15, 327 samples with 1,795 testing positive to the virus.
The State COVID-19 Incident Manager, Dr. Andrew Obi, disclosed this during a virtual meeting of the State COVID-19 Taskforce, chaired by the state governor, Mr. Godwin Obaseki.
Obi noted that the state, in the last 24 hours, recorded 41 new recoveries with 589 active cases and collected 291 samples from which 7 new cases were confirmed.
He said, “Edo has so far recorded 1,795 confirmed cases, 1,156 recoveries and 50 deaths since December 1, 2020 when the state started tracking the second wave of the virus.”
While urging residents to leverage the various testing and sample collection centres provided by the state government to know their COVID-19 status, Obi charged those with COVID-19 symptoms to contact the Edo Emergency Operation Centre on this toll-free number: 08003625000 for assistance.
The Incident Manager who reiterated the need for residents to comply with prevention protocols to curb the spread of the second wave of the virus, said “basic precautionary measures and hygienic practices, which include proper and compulsory use of facemasks, keeping safe social distance, avoiding large gatherings and close contact with sick persons, regular hand washing with soap and use of alcohol-based hand sanitisers, must be duly adhered to in order for citizens to be safe and healthy.”