A Court in Abuja convicted Maj. Gen. Olusegun Adeniyi on Monday 30th of November, 2020 over a video posted on social media eight months ago. Adeniyi was found guilty of violating military social media guidelines and has been demoted by three years.
Some months ago, a video of Adeniyi complaining about the lack of military equipment to combat Boko Haram insurgents in the North-East went viral. He complained that insurgents were outgunning troops, pointing that intelligence failure was responsible for an attack by the terrorists that killed some soldiers.
He was then suspended by the military and charges of social media guideline violations of the military were filed against him.
Adeniyi was said to have pleaded guilty to three-count of unlawful use of social media, and damage to service property including other charges.
Private Tokunbo Obanla, Adeniyi’s aide, was also prosecuted alongside the general, and was also found guilty and sentenced to 28 days in jail with hard labour.
Adeniyi had previously denied releasing the video, saying his phone was with his aide at the moment. The aide said the video was leaked by mistake.
Adeniyi’s lawyer said he will appeal the judgment.