Couple’s power bank explodes, almost ruining their holiday; issues warning to fellow travellers

Couple’s power bank explodes, almost ruining their holiday; issues warning to fellow travellers

Chris Thorpe and her husband had a close call during their holiday when a power bank they had been using to charge their phones and tablets exploded in their van.

Atomic Digest Ad

The couple had planned on bringing the device inside, but Ms Thorpe forgot to return for it because her hands were full at the time.

When they returned to the van, they were surprised to see the device had caught on fire and was smouldering in the front seat.

The incident could have ruined their holiday, but fortunately, they managed to avoid any serious damage.

Ms Thorpe and her husband issued an urgent warning to other travellers in an online camping group, urging them to be careful and avoid making the same mistake.

The incident highlights the importance of properly handling and storing electronic devices to prevent any mishaps.

‘Car temp obviously rose, sun hitting the power pack … boom,’ she wrote.

‘This is what confronted us. Destroyed front seat, seatbelt, seat covers, console and black soot everywhere.’

The middle console of the van in question melted, large chunks of the passenger seat were missing, and the fluffy seat covers were singed, as shown in the shocking images of the damage.

The couple explained that if they hadn’t returned when they did and extinguished the flames, the van might have been destroyed entirely.

Despite the setback, the couple was fortunate enough to continue their journey.

‘Positives: we are OK, van is OK, car is still drivable, I get to be a backseat driver and we have insurance,’ she told group members.

‘Just a ‘blip’ in our adventures.’

In an effort to prevent similar incidents from happening, the woman who experienced the power bank explosion warned others not to leave electronics in their cars, particularly on hot days.

Lithium-ion batteries, which are commonly found in electronics such as mobile phones, portable laptops, chargers, power tools, and electric bikes, scooters, and solar battery storage units, are highly flammable and prone to catching fire.

The batteries’ risks include overheating, which can cause fire or explosion, leading to burns, toxic chemical exposure, and pollution.

To prevent such incidents from occurring, users are advised to ensure that batteries are stored within the manufacturer’s recommended temperature range and away from flammables.

Battery packs should not be exposed to direct sunlight or heat or left in hot vehicles for extended periods.

Signs that a battery is overheating include if it is extremely hot to the touch, swollen or leaking, making a hissing or cracking sound, or emitting smoke.

»Couple’s power bank explodes, almost ruining their holiday; issues warning to fellow travellers«

↯↯↯Read More On The Topic On TDPel Media ↯↯↯