The British Embassy in Beijing is pleased to open a call for bids to the China Network’s International Programme (Open Societies) for projects running between 1 August 2021 – 31 March 2022.
Both Official Development Assistance (ODA) and non-ODA funding is available.
All projects should aim to promote, protect, and improve human rights and the rule of law in mainland China and Hong Kong. Issues on which we welcome bids include – but are not limited to – the below:
- China’s legal and judicial system
- Freedom of expression, including media freedom and countering disinformation
- Civil Society organisations, including those working on issues around labour, gender, LGBT rights and disability
- Religious and cultural rights
- Human Rights Defenders
- Technology and human rights
Bids will be assessed against the following criteria:
- Project design: Feasibility of activities and outputs including the capacity of implementing organisation to deliver outcomes
- Impact: Delivering high-impact, sustainable, meaningful change to open societies and human rights in China
- Viability and risks: Clear engagement/buy-in of key stakeholders. Robust analysis of key risks, and a plan of action to manage and mitigate those risks
- Value for money: Comparable and reasonable costs against the number of direct beneficiaries and the scale of achievable outcomes
Bids may also be assessed against the Official Development Assistance (ODA) eligibility rules where appropriate.
We draw your attention to the below key points:
- Proposals should be between £10,000 – £80,000 (105,000RMB – 840,000RMB).
- The entire project must begin and complete in the period 1 August 2021 and 31 March 2022.
- All funding must be activity-based (i.e. not for general staff costs, office rental etc.).
- Project proposals must be received by 23:59 (GMT) on Monday 12 July. Late proposals will not be considered.
- Proposals must be submitted using the attached forms only (Project Proposal Form and Activity Based Budget), which must be completed in English.
- Proposals must be submitted to: China.InternationalProgramme@fcdo.gov.uk