...By Solomon Thomas for TDPel Media.
A British tourist, identified as 36-year-old Mark C due to privacy laws, died of alcohol poisoning after consuming 22 shots in 90 minutes at a strip club in Krakow, Poland, in what police believe was an attack by an organised crime group.
The victim had already been drinking and was visibly intoxicated when he arrived at the Wild Night club in March.
Despite his attempts to refuse the drinks, he was continually plied with liquor before he collapsed and died.
Authorities also said staff at the club robbed him of £420 in cash after he fell unconscious.
Charges against an Organized Crime Group
On April 13, Polish police confirmed they had charged 58 people with being part of an organised crime group in connection with the death.
Officers raided a series of nightclubs where they arrested suspects and confiscated electronic devices, computers, cash, and phones.
The Polish Central Police Investigation Bureau (CBSP) said in a statement they had filed over 700 criminal charges against the group.
Investigation into Organized Crime Group
Police in Poland are investigating an organised crime group thought to have targeted intoxicated revellers.
The CBSP said they were conducting an investigation into the organised criminal group, which they believe was extorting money from customers at various nightclubs.
They added that in some cases, the group had accessed electronic banking on intoxicated customers’ own devices and had taken out loans, closed savings accounts, or transferred funds in partygoers’ names.
The investigation is ongoing.
The tragic death of the British tourist in Poland is a stark reminder of the dangers of excessive drinking and the risks of organised crime in the nightlife industry.
Authorities must take all necessary measures to combat the activities of criminal groups that target intoxicated revellers and commit crimes to their detriment.
People need to be cautious and aware of their surroundings when enjoying nightlife and should avoid consuming excessive amounts of alcohol to prevent such tragedies from occurring.