After a Scottish oil rig worker was reportedly battered to death on an offshore platform, a murder inquiry has been opened in Qatar.
The guy, who is said to be a married parent, was discovered dead by a coworker who was later suspected to have also been assaulted on the oil rig in the Persian Gulf.
Before being wrapped in a bed sheet and tried to be hidden in a bathroom in the staff housing, it has been reported that the deceased guy had been “bludgeoned” with a breathing equipment bottle.
According to reports, the suspect, who is from Aberdeen, intended to escape on a helicopter but was apprehended after stabbing a second guy who had gone to check on his fellow employee.
He was carried to the hospital after, according to what is known, suffering critical injuries.
The survivor, according to rig workers, was throttled and struck over the head but was able to flee and find assistance.
One person reported that a worker had allegedly been beaten with a bottle from a breathing device.
We were informed that he afterwards placed the man in the bathroom after wrapping him in the bed sheet. He then left to have supper.
The now-dead man was asked how he was by a third individual who also said that he would be coming to visit him.
He punched him over the head and began to strangle him after following him back into the room, but he was able to slip away and find aid. Another person said that they believed the perpetrator had planned to “throw him overboard before getting on a helicopter that night” in an attempt to dispose of the corpse.
The event was deemed to be “non-work related” by Ellon-based Film-Ocean, which hired all three individuals as contractors.
The suspect and two other individuals are being held by Qatari police for interrogation as part of a criminal inquiry into the incident that happened early on Monday on the Seafox Burj platform. In order to determine the circumstances behind the man’s death, Film-Ocean, which owns and manages a fleet of remotely driven vehicles for the oil business, has said that it is collaborating with the relevant authorities and the Foreign Office.
Christopher Begley, the wounded guy, is from Coatbridge, Lanarkshire, and was treated there before being discharged and hopes to see his family soon.
He had previously been on “good” terms with the accused assailant, according to his father Dennis, who claimed that his son was in “total shock” at what had transpired.
They all cooperate, he said. None of them have ever been hostile to one another. This seems to be entirely arbitrary. I have no idea what occurred since there was no animosity among any of them.
He was not shown the corpse. He entered the space, but he missed the corpse. In essence, he received a blow to the head.
‘I suppose it was a pipe. He’s okay.
A little brain trauma. But he is OK. He has returned to Scotland.
‘We sadly confirm that one person has been tragically killed and another has been injured after a non-work related event on an offshore site off Qatar,’ stated a Film-Ocean official.
‘Police have detained a third individual. The wounded worker underwent hospital treatment but was later discharged. The firm has notified the relevant parties’ next of kin and is taking steps to make sure they get the help they need.
In order to determine the entire facts of the occurrence, Film-Ocean is in contact with the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office. The implicated parties’ families have asked that their privacy to be respected.
The Foreign Office acknowledged that the deceased man’s relatives had been contacted.
We are helping the family of a British guy who passed away and a man who was hurt in Qatar, according to a spokeswoman.