PHILADELPHIA — Navy’s Anton Hall Jr. fumbled the ball at the goal line in the second overtime, paving the way for Quinn Maretzki’s game-winning 39-yard field goal as Army defeated The Midshipmen 20-17 on Saturday night. This was the first overtime game in the 123-game rivalry series.
With 1:53 remaining in regulation, Maretzki converted a 37-yard field goal to tie the game at 10 apiece from 37 yards out. This was the only offensive play of the game.
An exciting overtime period followed.
Before the NCAA’s 1996 implementation of overtime, one of the sport’s biggest rivalries had never required an extra period of play.
Army’s Markel Johnson ran 25 yards for a touchdown on the first play of overtime to give the Black Knights a 17-10 lead. Navy’s Xavier Arline then threw a 25-yard touchdown pass to Maquel Haywood to tie the game at 17 apiece.
Army players celebrate their victory against Navy.
It was Navy’s first completion of the game, and Arline produced arguably the most impressive 1 of 1 for 25-yard performance in Navy history. In addition, he ran for 102 yards.
Hall, who had previously raced 77 yards for a touchdown, coughed up the ball as he dove for the end zone and remained dejected as fireworks exploded at Lincoln Financial Field after the game.
Navy still leads Army in the series 62-54-7. However, the Black Knights have won five of the last seven contests.
Army finished with a 6-6 record, while Navy finished with a 4-8 record.
The teams combined for just 53 passing yards.
Cade Ballard completed one of Army’s few passing attempts after a pass interference call moved the ball to the 28-yard line with four minutes remaining on the clock, setting up Sebastian Maretzki’s game-tying field goal.
Ballard completed two of ten passes for 26 yards.
↯↯↯Read More On The Topic On TDPel Media ↯↯↯
Also On TDPel Media
- Ex-Pirates star says Bucs made him a $1 millionaire
- Salma Hayek says she was “dragged” to her wedding to François-Henri Pinault
- Influential model discovered dead in her car with 11 stab wounds
- Katie Rost, an alumna of ‘RHOP,’ confesses she relapsed: “I failed,” but I am “restarting.”
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry are set to testify in Samantha’s defamation action
- Investigators say Putin supplied Buk missile that downed MH17 over Ukraine
- Andries was a bold and talented athlete – Steve Barker
- King Charles is the first monarch without a crown to be featured on stamps
- Leg aches and pains can be alleviated with this at-home compression treatment
- According to a rumor, Mark Zuckerberg’s Meta would “flatten” middle managers in a cost-cutting attempt