Afghanistan humanitarian worker murdered by U.S. drone

The U.S. administration is still striving to make amends for its last act in Afghanistan, an erroneous bombing that claimed the lives of 10 civilians, including seven children, over a year later.

The charity worker Zemari Ahmadi and members of his family were murdered by an American airstrike that was meant to target an ISIS-K terrorist in the last days before the United States withdrew from Afghanistan.

The Pentagon first referred to it as a “righteous attack” and claimed no civilians were killed, but later acknowledged its error and pledged to relocate Ahmadi’s family and the staff of the charity organisation he worked for.

Since that time, the American government has relocated 11 of the 144 people who qualify for this kind of help. according to Brett Max Kaufman, a senior staff lawyer for the American Civil Liberties Union who is defending Ahmadi’s relatives and coworkers.

32 of the people are still in Afghanistan and are waiting to be evacuated.

“It is unquestionably encouraging news that some members of Zemari’s family are starting to put their lives back together now that they have a fresh start in America. The government has not done enough, however, and many of our clients are still in risk “In a statement, Kaufman said.

The people who are not in Afghanistan or the United States are undergoing resettlement processes in other countries including Albania, Doha, and Kosovo.

The 11 family members came in the United States in waves, with the earliest arriving in May and the last arriving in July.

In a statement, acting Pentagon Press Secretary Todd Breasseale stated, “The Department of Defense, in concert with other U.S. Government departments and agencies, continues to take actions to react to the August 29, 2021 airstrike in Kabul, Afghanistan.

“We are unable to offer additional details about these efforts at this time to assist preserve the privacy of the family members as well as to help ensure their safety and security.”

In order to let the world know there are still people in risk in Afghanistan, the groups that represent Ahmadi’s family have now chosen to come out in advance of the one-year anniversary. Previously, they had remained silent while the U.S. government went through the procedure.

The military’s response to information suggesting an ISIS-K terrorist driving a white Toyota Corolla was preparing an assault at the Kabul airport was the strike that killed Ahmadi and members of his family.

Just three days before, more than 200 Afghan civilians and 13 U.S. military personnel were murdered in an ISIS-K terrorist assault outside the Abbey Gate at the airport.

Weeks after the hit, Gen. Kenneth McKenzie, commander of American troops in the Middle East during the pullout from Afghanistan, acknowledged in a news conference that it had been a regrettable error.

Dr. Steven Kwon, the founder and president of NEI, which employs Ahmadi, participated in a virtual discussion with Dr. Colin Kahl, the Under Secretary of Defense for Policy, in October 2021.

According to a readout given at the time by Pentagon Press Secretary John Kirby, Kahl acknowledged that the attack was a mistake and pledged to offer sympathy payments as well as assist Ahmadi’s family members who want to immigrate to the United States.

Kwon sent the following statement to CBS News on Tuesday: “Many of those impacted have been relocated from Afghanistan after months of frustration and lack of progress.

However, I continue to become more concerned about those who are still trapped in Afghanistan and have no idea when or how they will be able to leave, especially Zemari’s family and our NEI coworkers.”

The ACLU lawyer, Kaufman, said in an interview that conversations over condolence payments would continue once the remaining people in Afghanistan are removed and relocated.

↯↯↯Read More On The Topic On TDPel Media ↯↯↯

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.