Administrative Assistant at the African Union (AU) – TDPel Jobs
The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organisation of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Administrative Assistant
Requisition ID: 481
Location: Douala, Cameroon
Reports to: Coordinator ECCAS Project Unit
Directorate / Department: Sustainable Environment & Blue Economy
Division: Sustainable Environment
Number of Direct Reports: 0
Number of Indirect Reports: 0
Job Grade: GSA5
Purpose of Job
- The African Union Commission (AUC) has secured funding from the European Union for the implementation of the Global Framework for Climate Services (GFCS) through the Intra-ACP Climate Services and Related Application programme.
- The programme addresses the issue of climate information throughout the entire supply chain of climate services covering generation and provision of climate services, access to information, user interface platforms, and capacity enhancement of critical players including, but not limited to, Regional Economic Communities (RECs), the National Meteorological and Hydrological Services (NMHSs) of Member States, and Regional Climate Centres (RCCs). It aims to enable Member States to develop and incorporate science-based climate information and prediction into development planning and decision-making at all levels, and to better manage risks of climate variability and change, Furthermore, it enhances policy and decision-making at continental, regional, national, community, and individual levels.
- The AUC is responsible for the overall continental coordination of the programme implementation, which includes the development and application of weather and climate information services; facilitation of capacity building for RECs and Member States; fostering sharing of best practices and coordinating knowledge management; procurement and supply of equipment for Member States and Regional Climate Centres; establishing and operationalization of the continental monitoring and reporting framework; facilitation of preparation of Africa State of Climate Reports and Outlooks; prudent management of financial resources; and monitoring and evaluation.
The Administrative Assistant will be responsible for providing general administrative support to the department for effective implementation of departmental work plan and daily routine work, i.e.:
- Assisting the programme in facilitating administrative and logistical tasks of the project
- Ensuring interaction with service departments including Administration, Human Resources, Finance and Conference Services, Protocol etc, among others, as well as
- Providing support functions in office management, document production and management at project level.
Scheduling and Coordination:
- Analyse and maintain an overview of the Directorate’s work to ensure that timely administrative support is provided in general and specialized areas;
- Take the lead in supporting the organization of meetings including coordination of invitations, confirmations, ticketing and accommodation for multiple participants for the Office of the Director and the directorate at large (as need be)
- Lliaise effectively with internal and external stakeholders on administrative ,matters of the department (this includes in relation to facilities (office space and equipment), security and protocol items (security/ID badges and passports) with assistance from other secretarial staff, Clerks and Mail Runners;
- Liaise with AHRMD, PBFA and DCMP to provide first hand support in areas such as, but not limited to, Procurement and Travel Management; Leave Management, Performance Management, Contract Management, Budget Management; interpretation, translation and venue arrangement issues respectively
- Initiates, processes, monitors, reviews and follows-up on actions related to the administration of the unit’s human resource activities, e.g., recruitment, placement, relocation, promotion, performance appraisal and separation, training requirements with HRM, ensuring consistency in the application of regulations and procedures
- Participate in the preparation, implementation and monitoring of budgets and liaise with the DPBFA on budgetary matters on behalf of the Directorate as required.
- Ensure the timely sourcing and ordering stationery and office equipment for the department.
- Be responsible for compilation of information on staff official missions, various official trips and leave schedules for better information on staff presence and allocation of tasks.
Documentation and Filing:
- Create, update and maintain special files (of confidential nature or for closer access for Director’s use) through an organised filing system and maintains a records system for tracking purposes.
- Ensuring confidentiality of information and management records is guaranteed;
Drafting and Document Preparation:
- Prepare correspondences (outgoing memos and letters to internal and external recipients), executive summary, reports, briefing papers, power point presentations and other documents as required;
- Assist the preparation, quality control and compilation of Finance and Human Resources related documents.
- Monitor meeting and correspondences outcomes and decisions and provide support in following up on their implementation; prepare update report for Director’s reference as need be.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- Candidates must have a minimum of Diploma or a Bachelor’s Degree in Management, Administration or any related field from a recognized educational institution.
- A higher qualification will be an added advantage
- Candidates must have a minimum of five (5) and three (3) years for Diploma and Bachelor degree holders respectively, of relevant work experience in administrative support, with good understanding of administrative (human resources, procurement, administrative services, records management, etc) systems
- Experience in office management is mandatory, exposure to administration duties is a strong added advantage.
- Good knowledge and practical use of Computer office applications are mandatory (very good knowledge of MS-Word, MS-Excel, MS-PowerPoint).
- Knowledge of SAP will be an advantage.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, using one of the AU working languages is mandatory. Capacity to communicate in a second AU working language (both orally and in writing) will be an added advantage.
- Excellent drafting skills
- Attention to detail and ability to work effectively under pressure;
- Ability to organize and present data in an understandable and useful manner
- Excellent interpersonal skills, organisational ability and time management;
- Willingness to extend service beyond working hours, as and when necessary
- Proactivity, adaptability and flexibility
- Excellent ability to use MS-Office (MS-Word, MS-Excel, MS-Power Point). Practical knowledge of using the SAP system will be an advantage.
- Excellent problem solving skills.
- Proficiency in English and/or French (ECCAS working languages). Fluency in another AU language (Arabic, Portuguese and Spanish) is an added advantage.
- Risk Awareness and Compliance.
- Teamwork and Collaboration
- Accountability awareness and Compliance
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating Clearly.
- Trouble shooting
- Job Knowledge Sharing
- Task Focused
- Continuous Improvement Awareness.
Tenure Of Appointment
- The appointment shall be for an initial period of one (1) year, the first three (3) months of which shall be on probation.
- It shall be renewable subject to performance and availability of funds.
- The salary attached to the position is an annual lump-sum of US$ 55,174.63 (GSA4 Step 5) inclusive of all allowances for internationally recruited staff, and US$ 22,656.97 inclusive of all allowances for locally recruited staff of the African Union Commission.
Application Closing Date
1st July, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.