...By Solomon Thomas for TDPel Media.
Jake Bond, a six-year-old boy, has been hailed as a hero by his mother after losing his leg to Strep A, a bacterial infection that can cause severe illnesses such as sepsis.
The bacteria, which can be found on the skin or in the throat, can cause symptoms like sore throat, fever, rashes, and nausea.
Hospitalization and Amputation
Jake was hospitalized for four weeks after being sent home from school with a high temperature and vomiting.
After his condition deteriorated into sepsis, doctors performed two surgeries to save his leg but were unsuccessful.
In the end, Jake had to have a through-knee amputation.
Despite this traumatic experience, Victoria, Jake’s mother, says that her son is coping with the amputation and has even given his stump a nickname, “Peanut.”
She notes that Jake’s strong personality and sense of humor have helped him through this challenging time.
The Odds Were Against Him
Jake’s mother describes how her son’s condition quickly worsened, and he was put on a ventilator after a respiratory arrest.
He was later transferred to Alder Hey Children’s Hospital in Liverpool, where doctors informed Victoria that he had a mere 5% chance of survival.
A Positive Outlook
Victoria expressed gratitude for Jake’s survival, even though he lost his leg.
She mentions that his toes had died back in December when he first contracted the infection, and amputation was inevitable.
She is thankful for Jake’s life and is hopeful for his future with his new bionic leg.
Jake is currently waiting to receive his bionic leg and can’t wait to return to school and do all the things he missed out on.
His mother says that they are closing one chapter of Jake’s story and starting a new one.