TDPel Media News Agency

Fans react as Holly Willoughby’s refusal to host You Bet leads to ITV shelving the revival of the classic 1990s game show across the UK

Gift Badewo - Author Profile Picture
By Gift Badewo

Fans of Holly Willoughby, 45, were left disappointed this week as ITV confirmed that the beloved game show You Bet! will not return as a permanent series.

The announcement comes after Holly turned down the chance to host the show, which she co-presented with Stephen Mulhern during two special episodes in 2024.

The show had been revived after originally running for ten series in the 1990s, and Holly’s involvement was expected to spark a new wave of excitement.

An ITV spokesperson told the Daily Mail that while both You Bet! and You Bet! On Tour remain available on ITVX, there are “currently no plans for a new series of You Bet! On Tour.”

The network has left the door open for a potential return, but fans hoping to see Holly back on Saturday nights will have to wait a little longer.

Another Disappointment Following Past Challenges

This shelving is particularly poignant for Holly, who has faced a difficult few years.

After leaving This Morning in 2023 following a terrifying plot against her life, this game show was meant to be her first major ITV project since that traumatic period.

A TV insider told The Sun that this cancellation is “another disappointment” for Holly, emphasizing how closely she was tied to the show’s revival.

It’s worth noting that Holly’s other popular programs have also been paused or cancelled.

Dancing On Ice is being “rested” with no immediate plans for a return, and Celebrity Bear Hunt was cancelled by Netflix after just one season, despite high ratings and a star-studded cast including Mel B, Lottie Moss, and Boris Becker.

Holly’s Busy Life Away from TV

Despite stepping back from traditional television, Holly hasn’t been idle.

She has expanded her presence as an influencer and is actively promoting her wellness brand, Wylde Moon.

On top of that, she’s quietly working behind the scenes on a new TV project with her husband, Dan Baldwin’s production company Hungry Bear.

Reports suggest that the programme will be a “multi-strand show for digital platforms,” allowing Holly to both produce and host—a venture she is said to be “thrilled and excited” about.

The End of Celebrity Bear Hunt

Holly’s first Netflix project, Celebrity Bear Hunt, had an adventurous format, sending twelve celebrities into the jungles of Costa Rica where they faced challenges while being hunted by Bear Grylls.

Although the series performed exceptionally well—becoming the No. 1 show on Netflix UK for two weeks—the streaming platform decided not to renew it.

Bear Grylls explained to The Sun that a combination of high production costs and a change in decision-makers at Netflix ultimately sealed its fate.

Bear Grylls, 51, praised Holly, saying they had “so much fun” working together and expressed confidence that they would collaborate again in the future.

The show featured notable names such as Danny Cipriani, Shirley Ballas, Joe Thomas, and Steph McGovern, giving fans a memorable season despite its short run.

Holly’s Courage and Career Comeback

Holly signed up for Celebrity Bear Hunt shortly after the terrifying plot by her former security guard Gavin Plumb, who was convicted for planning to kidnap, rape, and murder her.

She later revealed that her three children—Harry, Belle, and Chester—played a key role in giving her the courage to take on new challenges in her career.

Now, Holly is plotting a thoughtful return to screens on her own terms.

With her experience, growing production expertise, and personal resilience, fans can expect her next project to be a bold, exciting venture—possibly one that sets new standards for her as both a host and producer.

What’s Next?

While fans may feel a pang of disappointment over You Bet! being shelved, Holly’s career trajectory shows a clear shift from network television to creative independence.

The coming months will likely see her continue developing digital projects under Hungry Bear, with the potential to bring a fresh, innovative programme to screens.

Meanwhile, her wellness initiatives and public appearances ensure she remains a prominent figure in entertainment and lifestyle.

Holly’s journey illustrates not just survival but reinvention—a reminder that even when traditional doors close, new opportunities can be crafted with courage and vision.

Summary

Holly Willoughby has turned down the chance to host ITV’s revived game show You Bet!, leading the network to shelve the programme for now.

The show had aired two specials in 2024 with Stephen Mulhern and was a reboot of the 1990s series.

Holly’s decision comes as she focuses on her wellness brand Wylde Moon, influencer work, and a new project she is developing with her husband Dan Baldwin’s production company Hungry Bear.

The news follows a difficult few years for Holly, including stepping away from This Morning after a terrifying kidnapping plot, and the cancellation of her other shows Dancing On Ice and Celebrity Bear Hunt.

Despite these setbacks, Holly is actively shaping her return to TV on her own terms.

Spread the News. Auto-share on
Facebook Twitter Reddit LinkedIn

Gift Badewo profile photo on TDPel Media

About Gift Badewo

A performance driven and goal oriented young lady with excellent verbal and non-verbal communication skills. She is experienced in creative writing, editing, proofreading, and administration. Gift is also skilled in Customer Service and Relationship Management, Project Management, Human Resource Management, Team work, and Leadership with a Master's degree in Communication and Language Arts (Applied Communication).