TDPel Media News Agency

Stan Collymore calls for ban on players hiding their speech after racial abuse claims during Real Madrid versus Benfica match in Lisbon

Temitope Oke
By Temitope Oke

Former Liverpool, Newcastle, and England striker Stan Collymore has weighed in on the heated controversy that erupted during Real Madrid’s Champions League clash with Benfica on February 17, 2026.

Collymore argues that footballers should face sanctions if they attempt to conceal their speech on the pitch, particularly when it involves discriminatory language.


Explosive Incident at Estadio da Luz

The controversy began when Real Madrid forward Vinicius Jr., 25, alleged that Benfica’s 20-year-old Argentinian midfielder Gianluca Prestianni racially insulted him after he scored the opening goal of the first-leg play-off.

Prestianni had pulled his shirt over his mouth while speaking, preventing TV cameras from capturing what was said.

The game was temporarily halted for 10 minutes while referee Francois Letexier addressed the reported abuse.

UEFA confirmed it has launched an investigation.

“A UEFA Ethics and Disciplinary Inspector has been appointed to investigate allegations of discriminatory behaviour during the UEFA Champions League 2025/2026 Knock-out Play-off between Club Benfica and Real Madrid CF,” the governing body said in a statement.


Collymore Argues Concealment Should Be Outlawed

Taking to X (formerly Twitter), Collymore said: “The covering of the mouth with a hand or shirt should be banned from professional football.

If players can’t converse within the laws and spirit of the game, then they should be sanctioned.”

He emphasized that normal trash talk or disagreements are part of football, but “hiding homophobic, racist, religious or any other sanctionable communication isn’t acceptable at all.”

Collymore criticized the trend as being both protective and permissive, arguing that players who need to conceal words “shouldn’t be saying it.”


Conflicting Accounts and Reactions

Prestianni has publicly denied the accusations, stating on Instagram that “at no time did I direct racist insults to player Vinicius Jr., who regrettably misunderstood what he thought he heard.”

He also defended his action of covering his mouth, saying it is a common practice among players.

Vinicius Jr. responded by branding racists as “cowards,” adding: “They need to put their shirts in their mouths to show how weak they are.”

His statement highlighted the emotional toll these incidents take on players, even after scoring crucial goals.

Meanwhile, Real Madrid teammate Aurelien Tchouameni claimed that Prestianni had allegedly used a homophobic slur rather than a racial insult, illustrating the confusion surrounding the event.

Liverpool defender Trent Alexander-Arnold called the scenes “disgusting,” while Benfica coach Jose Mourinho suggested Vinicius’ goal celebration may have provoked the reaction.


Broader Context of Racism in Football

Vinicius Jr. has previously been subjected to racial abuse in stadiums, underscoring that this is part of a wider, persistent problem in football.

The Brazilian Football Federation condemned the alleged incident, stating: “Racism is a crime.

It is unacceptable. It cannot exist in football or anywhere else.”

They praised Vinicius for activating the official anti-racism protocol, calling it an example of “courage and dignity.”


What’s Next in the Investigation

UEFA’s Ethics and Disciplinary Inspector will continue to investigate the incident, with further updates expected in the coming weeks.

Meanwhile, calls for stricter rules regarding players concealing speech are likely to grow louder, as stakeholders debate whether such actions should be explicitly banned.

Fans and media will be closely watching how UEFA, Benfica, and Real Madrid navigate the findings, and whether new policies emerge to prevent similar controversies.


Summary

  • Real Madrid’s Vinicius Jr. alleged racial abuse by Benfica midfielder Gianluca Prestianni during a Champions League match.

  • Prestianni covered his mouth with his shirt, preventing cameras from identifying the words.

  • Stan Collymore called for a ban on concealing speech in football, especially for discriminatory comments.

  • Prestianni denied making racist remarks, while teammates and coaches gave conflicting accounts.

  • UEFA has launched an official investigation into the incident.

  • The Brazilian Football Federation condemned the alleged abuse and supported Vinicius for activating the protocol.

  • The case could influence future rules on transparency of player communication and anti-racism enforcement in football.

Spread the News. Auto-share on
Facebook Twitter Reddit LinkedIn

Temitope Oke profile photo on TDPel Media

About Temitope Oke

Temitope Oke is an experienced copywriter and editor. With a deep understanding of the Nigerian market and global trends, he crafts compelling, persuasive, and engaging content tailored to various audiences. His expertise spans digital marketing, content creation, SEO, and brand messaging. He works with diverse clients, helping them communicate effectively through clear, concise, and impactful language. Passionate about storytelling, he combines creativity with strategic thinking to deliver results that resonate.