2021 WAEC Chemistry Practical Candidates’ Weakness and Suggested Remedies
- did not show basic understanding of simple concepts in Chemistry;
- did not adhere to instructions as they relate to each question;
- exhibited poor communication skill;
- could not correctly define fermentation reaction;
- wrote the formula of acid instead of name;
- could not draw the graphical illustration of Charles’ law correctly;
- could not write complete definition when required;
- could not explain the chemistry behind the rate of corrosion of tin coated plate and a galvanized plate;
- could not name two factors which determine the choice of an indicator for an acid-base titration;
- could not draw and label a diagram for the laboratory preparation of a dry sample of sulphur(IV)oxide.
The Following Remedies Were Suggested For Overcoming The Weaknesses
- identify the basic requirements of each question before answering;
- learn to use the appropriate technical terms when required;
- improve on their communication skills;
- write correct and complete definitions when required;
- be familiar with the examination syllabus;
- learn how to write and balance chemical equations correctly;
- learn how to write IUPAC names of compounds correctly;
- improve on their study habit.
- correctly named the catalyst used for fermentation;
- gave the names of heavy chemicals;
- listed properties of aluminium;
- correctly defined esterification reaction;
- mentioned the uses of alkyl alkanoates;
- named ore of iron;
- described acidic reaction on litmus paper;
- gave two disadvantages of hardness in water;
- correctly wrote the equation of reaction of calcium oxide with water;
- correctly stated Dalton’s Law of Partial Pressure;
- correctly used collision theory to explain the effect of temperature.
Bookmark this page and keep refreshing for latest on 2021 WAEC Chemistry Practical and Alternative to practical.